Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 06:01 PM

Would You Lie To Spare Someone's Feelings?

This isn't the most earth shattering event in the world but a few months ago, I had adopted a pair of white domestic zebra finches off of a woman. She was selling them originally but trusted me to give them a good home so handed them to me free.

We kept in contact for a bit because she loved these birds but shortly after I had them, one of them sadly died. I don't know why, I think it had been a little ill at her house because she said it was quieter.

I didn't have the heart to tell her what happened & just said "everyone was doing great, no need to worry". She was very happy with that & I haven't heard from her anymore, which I'm glad.

There have been other instances too where I just kept my mouth shut or lied.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 06:18 PM

Re: Would You Lie To Spare Someone's Feelings?

I think I would have said the same thing - not a lie as such if it spares her feelings. It probably is doing great, wherever he is.

I'm sure I've done it in the past but can't recall at the moment.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 06:22 PM

Sometimes a lie can get a person in more trouble than the original problem that was lied about.

My mom used to say to me "I can take almost anything except someone who lies to me". That was a hint for me as well, lol.
Of course kids being kids, I would lie at times to not get in trouble.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 06:25 PM

The fib you told had no adverse effects, quite the contrary in fact. I have told a white lie or two to save upsetting some one and I would imagine most people have.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 06:27 PM

Yes theres a difference between a white lie and a lie.
A white lie is with good intentions .....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 06:36 PM

It would depend on the circumstances. If no one would be harmed by a white lie I would do so.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 07:12 PM

I do it all the time, on here anyway. Just my nature to care for others. Then again I'm probably lying now to spare yours. Us caring folk suffer so much.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 07:34 PM

I've told 'white' lies to spare someones feelings, but then I've had to live with - not any guilt about lying - but the regret of not telling them the truth.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 08:16 PM

It would depend on how sensitive the person is you're going to tell the lie to, if, in your own judgement you think the truth will hurt them more than the lie will if it's found out, then tell them the lie.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 08:34 PM

It would depend on the person, but I have and would lie to spare somebodies feelings.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top