Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 10:09 AM

Can you trust Trip Advisor?

When we were booking B&Bs for our trip to Whitby I googled it and found a place called Victorias. On Trip Advisor everyone gave it 5 stars and a glowing report so we booked it. On arrival at Whitby my sat-nav took me to the wrong place so we had to knock on doors to ask where it was. Eventually we found the lane leading to it. The lane was about half a mile long, full of potholes, passed through a rubbish tip and a farmyard finishing up in front of a large mansion with about 10 derelict vehicles parked outside, no room to park off track so I left it there. I knocked on a door which once had been painted brown but most of it was bare wood, it obviously had not seen a lick of paint for at least 30 years. The door opened and 5 dogs shot out barking their heads off. By this time I had decided that the place was not for me, gave the excuse that the drive up the track would damage my car and left. PS we easily found another, much more welcoming place to stay. I just wonder if some of these places just get their friends and relations to post good reviews.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 10:12 AM

Re: Can you trust Trip Advisor?

Theres a much better site Alan - just cant think of the name as I write, will put it on when I do .......
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 10:17 AM

You have to be so careful Alan when booking somewhere that you have never been before.

I too look at all the comments on Trip advisor (but don't always believe them) and also look to see if they have their own website, so that I can look at the property.

I have also started going on to google and finding the street the property is on and using the walking function to see the property and also what is in the area to see if it is where we want to be.

I hope you did not lose a deposit and glad you found somewhere else to stay easily.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 10:49 AM

Could it be your sat-nav took you to another venue with the same name?

Sounds like something out of the Adams Family! I am glad you found somewhere else. Whitby is a lovely place.

I hope you put your comments up on Trip Advisor !!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 11:13 AM

I thought it was more like the Clampits ST. Yes, I put my views on Trip Advisor and it was a bad review.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Did you actually see photos of the B & B before you booked, Alan? Being off the beaten track it sounds like it was a farmhouse offering B & B.

I always check Trip Advisor when we are looking for holiday accommodation, they usually provide photos. I never book anything if I don't know what the accommodation looks like.

Sorry you were disappointed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 12:24 PM

We use TA when choosing restaurants and have had some really horrible meals even though other posters praised the establishments .

I think you have to choose with care.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Oh - just looked it up and its 'Trip Advisor' !!
Another senior moment to add to my list
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2014, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Yes, I put my views on Trip Advisor and it was a bad review.
And is it still on there

You'll need to check every couple of weeks 'cos my guess is it will suddently disappear at some point (All the 'good' ones will of course remain)

If I recall 'Trip Advisor' has itself occassionaly had some bad publicity in the last ten years, mostly if I remember correctly down to exactly what you are saying.

I'm so glad I won't be needing any B&B's now that I take my 'home' with me where ever I go
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK

02-06-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Did you actually see photos of the B & B before you booked, Alan? Being off the beaten track it sounds like it was a farmhouse offering B & B.

I always check Trip Advisor when we are looking for holiday accommodation, they usually provide photos. I never book anything if I don't know what the accommodation looks like.

Sorry you were disappointed.
Yes there were photos Mags and it looked OK but they don't tell you how the access to the property is or how many dogs they have.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top