Join for free
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 11:58 PM

Left Handed in School?

If you are left handed, did you get rapped on the knuckles or any other such 'discipline' from teachers back in school?

I am ambidextrous but always wrote with my right in school but by then there would've been no punishment anyway for lefthanders.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 12:18 AM

Re: Left Handed in School?

No I've always been right handed. My mum was right handed too, but when she dealt a pack of cards it was always with her left hand strangely.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 07:51 AM

I am left handed and write with the left etc.
My Brother who is older than me was wrapped on the knuckles with a ruler
and made to try and write with his right hand.
This became really bad when my Mum noticed he was becoming very nervous of going to school. He started biting his nails and he began stuttering.
She managed to get it out of him what was happening at school and went
to the school and told them off about it. They did stop doing it around that
time so when I went to the school years later I didn't have that trauma.
Never heard anything so ridiculous that you cant be left handed who do these Righties think they are.
I have trouble going through doors as they are nearly all positioned for
the right handed person to open so I have to think twice to open a door.
Also potato peelers were always right handed until they started making left handed ones too.
I am happy being left handed and it never stopped me being a fast typist
of 70 words per minute.
My Dad, my Brother and me were lefties and My Mum my Sister and my other Brother were Righties.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 08:22 AM

I wrote left handed until I went to Grammar School at 10yrs old. It was an elite school, run by nuns, and one of it's 'trade marks' was beautiful italic writing. This was done with dip pens which had oblique nibs fashioned for right handed users. The nuns also believed that left handed people were in league with the devil - so I had no chance! They used to tie my left hand behind my back during lessons. It took me half a term to produce legible writing with my right hand - now I can write with both. Still use the left for anything which requires strength - opening jars etc.,
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 09:28 AM

I remember my Nan marching into school and giving a teacher a right telling off when my youngest sister had her left hand tied behind her back to try and teach her to be normal. Normal Nan was heard to scream NORMAL ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 10:14 AM

George was left-handed, so too is my elder sister, and I am left-handed with my knife and fork.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 05:30 PM

I do not think schools bother these days.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I remember my Nan marching into school and giving a teacher a right telling off when my youngest sister had her left hand tied behind her back to try and teach her to be normal. Normal Nan was heard to scream NORMAL ?
That is just sick!! Imagine doing that to a kid!All 3 of your stories, BowieEyes, Silver Tabby & Julie are just unbelievable.
Those so called teachers should've been rapped on the head with rulers!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
George was left-handed, so too is my elder sister, and I am left-handed with my knife and fork.
That's like me Geoff, I was always right handed, when I started to serve my time as an apprentice goldsmith the Turkish man I was apprenticed to was left handed, he was showing me how to use the blowtorch and he had it in his left hand while explaining the soldering procedure, ever since then I have held the torch in my left hand when soldering, all the other tools I hold in my right hand.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top