Join for free
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 09:03 AM

China And Polution

Seems that China is, at last, going to try to combat the amount of pollution that exists there.

Originally Posted by BBC News
After years of denying the issue existed, the central government earlier this year accepted that pollution was of genuine concern.
China to scrap millions of cars to improve air quality

It can be an expensive business this clean up lark ...

Originally Posted by BBC News
It now publishes figures for the air quality in China's major cities, and in 2013 promised $275bn (£163bn) to tackle the issue in the next five years, setting targets for air quality improvements.
That is a lot of dosh.

Great that China is opening her doors to the world and becoming part of the bigger picture.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Re: China And Polution

Not arguing against cleaning up the air that is obviously important but how does scrapping cars help the planet assuming the scrap has to go somewhere ? Seems we always swap one sort of pollution for another.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Not arguing against cleaning up the air that is obviously important but how does scrapping cars help the planet assuming the scrap has to go somewhere ? Seems we always swap one sort of pollution for another.
Well, scrap cars are built of metal so they could be recycled for one thing. Scrap metal has value.

These cars are no-doubt real old models pumping out pollution at a heck of a rate.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 09:23 AM

And the people who rely on the old cars ? Most people who drive old cars do so because they are not well enough off to buy new ones. I am as I said not against cleaning the air but I hope they will be helping the people who will lose their cars too.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2014, 09:28 AM

And the people who rely on the old cars ? Most people who drive old cars do so because they are not well enough off to buy new ones. I am as I said not against cleaning the air but I hope they will be helping the people who will lose their cars too.
Sometimes you have to be hard to be good. It happened in this country when they made the MOT so much harder to pass. It took many old cars off the road. There are a lot less dangerous old bangers on the roads now. Somehow or other those people who relied on those old cars managed - or simply stopped driving such vehicles.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

30-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Yes and some lost their jobs because they could no longer get to them, which is what I am hoping won't happen in this case, because I doubt they have the welfare system to pick people up like we do.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2014, 09:34 AM

Yes and some lost their jobs because they could no longer get to them, which is what I am hoping won't happen in this case, because I doubt they have the welfare system to pick people up like we do.
We are talking about a bigger picture here. The pollution in China is absolutely horrendous in some cities. My bother in law just came back from there and he couldn't believe the state of the air many are forced to breathe. He traveled in to the heart of China on a business trip. The air was thick with pollution and it made him ill, and that is in just a few days . He was honestly shocked to the core by it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

30-05-2014, 09:46 AM

Yes as I said I agree something has to be done, just worries me it always seems to be the poor who pay the price, wonder how the air traffic adds to pollution ? perhaps less travel by the richer people might help too !
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

30-05-2014, 10:02 AM

Yes as I said I agree something has to be done, just worries me it always seems to be the poor who pay the price, wonder how the air traffic adds to pollution ? perhaps less travel by the richer people might help too !
Well yes, most methods of transport have a carbon footprint.

I can see your point that ultimately someone somewhere will suffer for the changes, and such people are usually the poor. China is undergoing massive sociological changes as it develops it's manufacturing base. There will be turmoil and unrest as there always is at such times. All necessary though as their population expands and makes more demands on resources. At the end of the day do we, or they, need all the hassle that the pursuit of material possessions brings? Maybe, when the whole world is up to spec with regard to technology, and social reform, people will relax and be so well informed that they will focus on things you are so concerned about (and we should all be concerned about) - people's welfare.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top