Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 12:01 AM

Are there any women palace guards?

Are there any women palace guards?
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 07:20 AM

Re: Are there any women palace guards?

Yahoo says ....

Current UK Government policy is that women may not have roles that involve direct combat, they may join the regiments but only in a supporting role.

The guard at the palace is not just ceremonial, the weapons and ammunition are real and the soldiers are issued rules of engagement about when they can open fire.

So, the answer is no, they can't join the guard.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 08:45 AM

What a boring job that is - wouldn't do it if ya paid me !!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
@Patsy
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Typical lazy brit, well its nee bother will just give the job to a foreign migrant worker
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 08:50 AM

Nom
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Yahoo says ....

Current UK Government policy is that women may not have roles that involve direct combat, they may join the regiments but only in a supporting role.

The guard at the palace is not just ceremonial, the weapons and ammunition are real and the soldiers are issued rules of engagement about when they can open fire.

So, the answer is no, they can't join the guard.
Don't believe everything (or even anything) that Yahoo says. I have a Yahoo e-mail and I'm getting heartily fed up with their so called news stories.

I think AC is refering to the pictures that circulate the world of the guards in their red jackets and big bearskin hats. So far as I know these soldiers (and a few from other select regiments) do fall within the 'combat' status and therefore they are all men.

But I can tell you ('cos I've had dealings with them) that there are 'other' security departments which 'guard' the Queen and they most definately do have women operators and very good they are too, they are also trained in certain 'combat type' activities which may not include guns but which are just as deadly if you know what I mean.

These women don't appear on all the postcards, magazines, and general tourist souvenirs, but I can assure you they are pretty dam good at what they do and I sure wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of one

So AC, the answer to your question is yes, all the public viewable photos are men, but all the people who guard the Queen are not all men.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 02:33 PM

Apparently it has happened in the past.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/814684.stm
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Don't believe everything (or even anything) that Yahoo says. I have a Yahoo e-mail and I'm getting heartily fed up with their so called news stories.

I think AC is refering to the pictures that circulate the world of the guards in their red jackets and big bearskin hats. So far as I know these soldiers (and a few from other select regiments) do fall within the 'combat' status and therefore they are all men.

But I can tell you ('cos I've had dealings with them) that there are 'other' security departments which 'guard' the Queen and they most definately do have women operators and very good they are too, they are also trained in certain 'combat type' activities which may not include guns but which are just as deadly if you know what I mean.
These women don't appear on all the postcards, magazines, and general tourist souvenirs, but I can assure you they are pretty dam good at what they do and I sure wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of one

So AC, the answer to your question is yes, all the public viewable photos are men, but all the people who guard the Queen are not all men.
Thank you Losos
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Apparently it has happened in the past.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/814684.stm
Well obviously someone has decided we must be politically correct even when it comes to guarding the Queen

I quite like the Aussies and I'm sure the small contingent that was used for those few weeks did a good job, but behind all the 'public face' of Buckingham Palace is an organisation who are the real quardians as I hinted at in my previous post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top