Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 07:44 PM

TV interviews, out-of-focus shots & Statistics!

I'm getting really fed-up with TV interviewing techniques where the 'interviewee' is speaking to the interviewer who is to the left or right of the camera, rather than more-or-less behind the camera, as they used to do it!

For me it's silly because I need face-on to read the lips as subtitles are often hopeless.

With heads turned to one direction sometimes the subject's own idiosyncrasies clash with the arty-farty camera angle and he / she turns further away from the camera but not away from the person they're speaking to!
I also find I'm almost looking to my left or right too! (You talking to me or what?!!)

Another annoying thing that's really fashionable, especially on the Beeb is the awful habit of doing an out-of-focus video background to words on the screen - makes me feel quite ill so I'm having to turn away, but I need to read the words 'cos I can't hear them!

The last one is Statistics: -

Have you ever noticed how often newsreaders or presenters will explain something by using "1 in 10" then "55%" followed by "Three-quarters" when reporting any Statistics?
Can't we have just the one type of format?! stevmk2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 09:44 PM

Re: TV interviews, out-of-focus shots & Statistics!

I see your point Steve, they will keep trying out all these arty farty camera angles without regard for the viewer, well maybe 55% of them or 6 in 10 perhaps even 5 eights.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 12:01 PM

The one that bothers me is the artistic way they pan around couples or people spinning around makes me feel quite dizzy sometimes. Emmerdale tried it with hand held cameras for a while complaints from viewers they dropped it and went back to more traditional shots. Much easier on the eye.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 12:35 PM

Oh, I hate these new fangled techniques. I watch a crime documentary series and the criminal psychologist is looking to the left when being interviewed, it looks really stupid as though he's looking over my shoulder!
I don't enjoy watching it anymore.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 12:39 PM

Agree totally with all that has been said - its a sackable offence - really inane !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The one that bothers me is the artistic way they pan around couples or people spinning around makes me feel quite dizzy sometimes. Emmerdale tried it with hand held cameras for a while complaints from viewers they dropped it and went back to more traditional shots. Much easier on the eye.
It was called a Handycam Julie and it was a one-man operated unit that - I think - has the audio built-in now.

I could be wrong there 'cos I first saw one a number of years ago on trial at the BBC and then it had no audio - a fact that my colleagues all gave opinions on!

Happy days really - I loved worked for the BBC and was so sad to be made redundant - then it happened again - then again........ stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 03:55 PM

I absolutely agree Steve. Why don't they talk to us, the viewer? And tell you something else I hate. When a person is about to be interviewed, they are always doing a little walk, usually along a corridor, a road, or grounds of somewhere. Then there they are, talking, with their name and profession on the screen. Grrrrrr. Why not go straight to the interview?!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 07:38 AM

I can't afford a TV, so I am not missing out on much then - 100% that's for sure!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 09:08 AM

Anyone else strain to see in the dark ? so many dramas seem to think it adds to the moment to have us trying to see them with the lights turned off. Whispering too and whispering in the dark is especially annoying !
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I can't afford a TV, so I am not missing out on much then - 100% that's for sure!
What about those "Fosters" adverts, they are O.K.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top