Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 04:33 PM

Tanning Beds Or Concerned About Skin Cancer?

I never, never would & the Canadian Cancer Society states that although tanning salons have lowered the UVA rays, they are still putting people at a higher risk of melanoma. Do you concern yourself with skin cancer?

I had a skin cancer years ago, not melanoma but it had to be taken off. After that I was diligent about sunscreens but for years now have gotten lackadaisical. I do wear a long sleeve white shirt in the car to protect my arms & put something across my legs.
Other times I try not to go out to walk the dog after 11 am or before 3.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 04:54 PM

Re: Tanning Beds Or Concerned About Skin Cancer?

I don't really tan I just go red then peel so tanning beds have not attracted me at all. Pale and interesting I like to think I am, death warmed up my husband calls me
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 05:01 PM

I like to put on me tan cream, it has a nice natural colour and makes me feel better .... Would never use a sun bed
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 05:20 PM

In the UK it seems to be a lot of the younger ones who are using tanning
beds. They are the majority of people who are getting melonomas here.
Only used one once to see what it was like but didn't like it so just use the
Sun for a tan. Don't get a lot of Sun the further North you go in Winter so can get SAD because of that. Still wouldn't use a bed and try and get out
for a good walk even if the Sun is low and not strong.

Nice to see you got your name back Julie1962.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 05:50 PM

Twenty two year ago i watched Judy and Richard morning show on Tv.the Doctor part was about moles that turn to Cancer,i recognised it as one my OH had on his leg ,i told him so but he refused to believe there was anything amiss. ,no amount of telling him made any difference...Then his works medical a twelve month later he showed the doctor ,who advised him to see his own Doctor immediately , he did so ,the mole was cut off there in the surgery and sent for analysing .it came back as Melanoma A week later he was at Hospital having a deep slice of his leg cut out ,to make sure it had not gone deep down as these kind of melanoma Mole put roots down and spread through out the body.After 5 years of Hospital check ups he was given the all clear. at the time he was told if he had left it another 6months he would have not been here! As a foot note i should say he as never been out of the uk , so he got it from being in this country ..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 06:02 PM

My brother died from melanoma - among other things, and my best friend died from complications following the removal of a melanoma, so I am obsessional about sunblocks and would never, ever, use a sunbed. I have skin that tans really easily but I do not actually like to be tanned - hence the sunblocks.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 06:04 PM

For those that have experienced it - what are the warning signs, does the mark have to be an existing mole ....?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 09:45 PM

His Mole turned a dark colour almost black ,he said it was a dried blood blister ,he even scratched the top off and made it bleed ,
Its when a mole goes darker than it was from brown to black almost ,.time to go see a Dr .

Not sure the Mole had always been there,or if it was a new one .it was on his lower leg which was normally covered up while wearing trousers,
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 09:56 PM

Crikes. I'm now checking my few moles, and will be checking out hubby's when he gets home from work!

I've never used a tanning bed, and never will.
I'm one of the lily white clan!
And proud of it too!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2014, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Twenty two year ago i watched Judy and Richard morning show on Tv.the Doctor part was about moles that turn to Cancer,i recognised it as one my OH had on his leg ,i told him so but he refused to believe there was anything amiss. ,no amount of telling him made any difference...Then his works medical a twelve month later he showed the doctor ,who advised him to see his own Doctor immediately , he did so ,the mole was cut off there in the surgery and sent for analysing .it came back as Melanoma A week later he was at Hospital having a deep slice of his leg cut out ,to make sure it had not gone deep down as these kind of melanoma Mole put roots down and spread through out the body.After 5 years of Hospital check ups he was given the all clear. at the time he was told if he had left it another 6months he would have not been here! As a foot note i should say he as never been out of the uk , so he got it from being in this country ..
Boy Eliza thank goodness he finally had to have it checked out!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top