Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 06:57 PM

Light bulbs !!

I had 2 light bulbs fail this week .....they were these so called long life energy efficient ones .....So i went to my cupboard for a replacement only to find i had none ...however i did find a packet of 100w old fashioned ones right at the back ...well when i fitted them the difference was amazing I could see again ...no more dull rooms a nice bright light from when it is switched on no waiting for it to warm up ...no more having to sit with a separate reading lamp....These energy efficient ones , are useless compared to real light bulbs ...its a pity our Government has has banned them ....I hope mine last .....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 06:58 PM

Re: Light bulbs !!

I think you can still get them Steve, meant to be for industrial use now, but whos to know ....
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I think you can still get them Steve, meant to be for industrial use now, but whos to know ....
The EU and governments are trying to phase them out especially 100w ones ..so far you can still get them ....I gonna get some more ...so much better than energy saving one ..especially for someone like me who has eyesight problems
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 07:08 PM

I dont like these low energy bulbs either,i think they,re a big con ..mine were never long lasting and they cost a lot more than the old type , lucky to have found a supply of the old ones .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 07:40 PM

I've got a stash of the old type...somewhere! I hate the EU approved ones: my lounge takes ages to light up and always feels dimmed.

One thing I notice about bulbs failing is when using the switch. Try to press it gently, rather than forcefully. Before now on several occasions I've pressed the switch a bit too hard and the bulb has instantly blown. And why do I always duck and swear?! . Does anyone else do that?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 08:20 PM

We had a good stock of the old bulbs but there's not many left now, Phyllis says she knows a place in town that stock them so we'll be alright for another while. The light from the energy saving bulbs is pathetic, have you noticed how many new branches of Specsavers opened since the EU banned the old bulbs?, somebody's on a nice little earner methinks, Saving the Planet me arse.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 09:21 PM

We can still buy them here as well but they are phasing them out too. I've collected quite a few incandescent bulbs for our turtle's heat lamp. That's the only problem with the old bulbs, at this time of year you can feel the extra heat coming from them. I have noticed our electricity bill isn't as high with the new bulbs. We have them pretty everywhere by choice.
I do agree with some of the negative aspects though, but not enough to make much difference to us. I also haven't had to change a bulb in ages.

There must be some truth to the CFC bulbs in a positive light (bad pun lol).
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 09:33 PM

We had an energy saving bulb blow the other day......first one to go in the six years since we moved here.

I like them.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 09:52 PM

Give me the old type bulbs any time. They are far cheaper, give off a better light and last longer.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 10:05 PM

I don't mind the energy saving bulbs but use an artists daylight bulb in my standard lamp to read with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top