Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 08:17 PM

Does anti-mould grout work?

Not sure whether to go with PVC cladding for the bathroom or tiles - if we went with tiles I'd want to use anti-mould grout... but does it actually work?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2014, 10:18 PM

Re: Does anti-mould grout work?

I never have any mold on my grouting so I guess it must work Azz
I scrub it regularly with Jif on a toothbrush.

The only speck of mold I had was in the corner of the bath on the sealant .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Why cant they invent a nice 'smooth' grout for tiles .......
Makes me like this
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Not sure whether to go with PVC cladding for the bathroom or tiles - if we went with tiles I'd want to use anti-mould grout... but does it actually work?
Our house is 88 years old and we have a number of damp problems we've had to treat Azz, (one still to do!), so we made sure all tiling was done using anti-mould grout and it's all still fine - but we had Meg's problem with the bath sealant!

By the way we used cladding in the kitchen because the walls were so bad and we had a mould problem in one corner which was treated with a paint-on sealant and tests 2 years ago showed it's still fine under the cladding. stevmk2
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the help guys

Steve - which cladding did you use in the kitchen? PVC or wood?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 10:37 AM

I cured my mouldy grouting easily - I complained about the state of my bathroom to my sisters when I was away and when I came back they had completely renovated it . Gonna complain about the Baxi Bermuda like hell next as I'm going away again soon .
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the help guys
Steve - which cladding did you use in the kitchen? PVC or wood?
It's wood-effect PVC Azz - but I got a builder to fit it all because of the state of our kitchen walls!

Removing ALL the plaster and redoing it was a bit beyond me and so was the cost of getting it done and there's also a mysterious 2" pipe embedded in our kitchen wall so I didn't want to take the chance!

Be careful where you put the cladding though - I put a non-cool wall toaster too close - it warped! stevmk2
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 10:42 PM

In a bathroom I prefer tiles every time to cladding. Tiles are so easy to keep clean and if you keep the room well ventilated and dried out after use there should not be much problem with mould. Window open after a bath/shower and an extractor fan is useful. There is a spray cleaner which will sort mould out anyway - particularly good for the sealant round the bath. There is also a product called shower shine for the shower. Best thing is to catch any problem before it starts to get a hold. Waterproof grout with a mould inhibitor should also help a lot.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2014, 10:51 PM

Not sure whether to go with PVC cladding for the bathroom or tiles - if we went with tiles I'd want to use anti-mould grout... but does it actually work? :101:
Dunno, maybe it just claims benefits.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2014, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
In a bathroom I prefer tiles every time to cladding. Tiles are so easy to keep clean and if you keep the room well ventilated and dried out after use there should not be much problem with mould. Window open after a bath/shower and an extractor fan is useful. There is a spray cleaner which will sort mould out anyway - particularly good for the sealant round the bath. There is also a product called shower shine for the shower. Best thing is to catch any problem before it starts to get a hold. Waterproof grout with a mould inhibitor should also help a lot.
I have tiles too and leave my window open most of the time to ventilate the room, I've never had a problem with mould as I used waterproof grout which has worked fine

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top