Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 07:16 PM

Happy Bank Holiday Everyone!!

So many of you were nice to me when I mentioned we had Victoria Day weekend last weekend even though I wasn't doing anything special.

Any plans for your 3 day? I've heard Bank Holiday mentioned not that long ago, what exactly does it signify?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 08:12 PM

Re: Happy Bank Holiday Everyone!!

Hi AC

'Bank Holiday' in UK is when nearly all businesses close and often coincides with a historical day e.g. There is a Bank Holiday at the beginning of May which marks 'May Day' this one at the end of May doesn't have any historical significance since it was introduced recently by a government (Labour I believe) who wanted to win popularity, obviously no one objected and thus another holiday appears in the already excessive number of days people takeoff work in this country
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 08:22 PM

Thanks AC from AC. We're going away tomorrow for 6 nights in Yorkshire...........3 nights in Grassington in the Yorkshire Dales followed by 3 nights in a farmhouse B&B just outside of Whitby. The weather forecast is for cool weather and rain..........but that's Yorkshire for you !
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 08:44 PM

Well I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves no matter! Bring back some pics! We have a Whitby near Toronto.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

23-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Hi AC
and thus another holiday appears in the already excessive number of days people takeoff work in this country
Ha ha Losos you wouldn't happen to be an 'employer' would you? Thanks for the explanation.

In Ontario we finally got a needed stat holiday in February called Family Day. It was finally voted in after years of yakking about it.

How many stat holidays per year does Britain have?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 09:01 PM

Our government are very kind and considerate, so much so that they give us the Mayday Holiday on the first Monday of May, just in case anyone dies during the Month of May they can't say the government didn't give them a holiday first, clever little move that, take note Nigel.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 09:49 PM

Thanks for your good wishes AC

This Spring Bank Holiday was formerly known as Whitsun, which was celebrated six weeks after Easter. That was a time when towns and villages held pageants, parades, brass bands and Morris dancing
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 09:53 PM

it will be 42 years this Bank Holiday when i got married , no celebrations ,the light went out a few years ago but we are still living together .Sunday i will go to Church with the flower arrangement ive done for the Altar window ,not sure whether to go to the afternoon Rogation Service which is done in the farm fields next to the church ,ive done a reading for the past two years for that .
I might be staining the new gates , for the driveway also this weekend .
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 12:13 AM

When we have a Bank Holiday (in NSW this year 4th August) the only people on holiday are the bank workers.

Never mind, only a couple more weeks and we have a public holiday to celebrate the birthday of the Queen of Australia. Jolly lucky that her birthday always falls on a Monday so we get a long weekend - not that it matters to me because every day is a public holiday.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

24-05-2014, 12:19 AM

Thanks Mags for explaining more and Eliza, I will say Happy Anniversary to you and yours

Bruce I didn't know Australia had a Queen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top