Join for free
insa80
New Member!
Pakistan
insa80 is female 

21-05-2014, 08:04 AM

Name Change court hearing?

I have a court hearing for my name change in a couple of weeks. I was just wondering what are a couple of things the judge will be asking me? What is the procedure? Any other additional information would be highly appreciated. Thank you!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 08:38 AM

Re: Name Change court hearing?

Why is it a court hearing? I changed my name by deed poll so it would be legal and it was all done in my Solicitor's office. She gave me a document to prove the legallity of my new name for making changes to bank accounts etc.,
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Sorry, Insa80, just noticed your location. Laws may be different over there.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 01:21 PM

I sort of changed my name decades ago simply by letting various orgNisations, tax, NI, bank etc that I now wished to be known as........

I said sort of because I now actually use my birth name, when my mother left my father way back when, she simply started using the boy friends name, and later enrolled me at school using his name. At 16 I discovered my birth cert. and started using my own name, then of course it changed when I married. Then several years after my own divorce I went back to maiden name.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Why is it a court hearing? I changed my name by deed poll so it would be legal and it was all done in my Solicitor's office. She gave me a document to prove the legallity of my new name for making changes to bank accounts etc.,

Same here ST, I did it years ago and didn't have to go to court at all.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 11:23 PM

Tried to change my name from Spitty to Skippy, had to consult a Kangaroo Court.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 11:24 PM

That was funny..
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2014, 03:08 AM

Nobody in England can help you with the laws of Pakistan, I'm afraid. We over here don't have to go to court to do this.

Over here you can't "legally" change your name on a whim, but you can call yourself any name you wish. However, for banking purposes, passport etc, you have legally got to give your real name, otherwise it will could be construed as defraud.

Even after marriage, your married name is law unless it is changed by deed poll - legally.

I haven't used my married name in over 20 years as I reverted to my maiden name but, for legal purposes, I still have to use my married surname unless I change it by deed poll, even after divorce. That's the law, otherwise you remain on record as two different people e.g. Daisymay Smith (past) or Daisymay Jones (present). You can't have the legal facility to use two different useable surnames, as that's against the law.

It doesn't matter what you wish to be known as, that's fine - but irrelevant - but in legal terms, you have to change your name legally, otherwise you seriously could be charged with defraud, if at some point you used both names for different reasons. You can't do that, and I'm sure you wouldn't, but that's the law, lass. At some point you might (not you personally) want a new credit card in your old name (which is still re-useable) because your new name was in default, or a passport, or for some criminal activity. Think about the consequences it could have if your name wasn't changed legally.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
That was funny..
It really was
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2014, 11:21 PM

Well Mollie, I have been using the name now for at least four decades, have had two passports in it, my NI uses it, as do two bank accounts and the tax office and DSS. Also my son is registered under the name also and it has never been queried.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top