Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 05:44 PM

Sony Walkman instead of iPods - if you love music

If you are a discerning music lover, then look into getting a Sony Walkman instead of an iPod or iPhone as your portable audio player - the quality is so much better; they contain class A amplifiers which make huge difference imo.

I love mine and it is definitely one of my top three gadgets
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 07:44 PM

Re: Sony Walkman instead of iPods - if you love music

Hi Azz. Any system is only as good as its weakest link and if you were playing music through high quality speakers, then you might appreciate the quality of class A amplifiers. However, through run of the mill headphones, I doubt if you'd hear a lot of difference. There is also the curse of the graphic equaliser that allows you to mess up the sound rather than listen to it as it was planned. So much for Hi-fi.

I don't have any of these portable devices - I have a 'seperates' (Class H+) system and a pair of B&W floor standing speakers. The speakers make all the difference.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2014, 08:52 AM

Does anybody still use a valve amp with turntable and a quality cartridge? A much richer and warm sound than any cd player.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Hi Azz. Any system is only as good as its weakest link and if you were playing music through high quality speakers, then you might appreciate the quality of class A amplifiers. However, through run of the mill headphones, I doubt if you'd hear a lot of difference. There is also the curse of the graphic equaliser that allows you to mess up the sound rather than listen to it as it was planned. So much for Hi-fi.

I don't have any of these portable devices - I have a 'seperates' (Class H+) system and a pair of B&W floor standing speakers. The speakers make all the difference.
The headphones that come with the Walkman are actually pretty good the sound really is quite special, much much better than what you get from an iPod imo.

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Does anybody still use a valve amp with turntable and a quality cartridge? A much richer and warm sound than any cd player.
When I had my home studio, the thing I wanted most was a valve compressor - they have such a lovely, smooth sound but at over £1000 back then it was just too expensive for me.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2014, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
If you are a discerning music lover, then look into getting a Sony Walkman instead of an iPod or iPhone as your portable audio player - the quality is so much better; they contain class A amplifiers which make huge difference imo.

I love mine and it is definitely one of my top three gadgets
iPods like all Apple products are for people with more money than sense.

Having said that; I love my MP3 player it goes everywhere with me and class A amp or not would not make the slightest bit of difference. After 30 years working in a high noise environment I can no longer tell the difference between a CD/Record played on the finest HiFi and its MP3 version ripped at the minimum quality 128kbps.

(to give you an example my son played a recording of his ship's sonar in operation sending audio pulses through the ship - to me it was a completely blank recording, I heard nothing.)

I have a good quality stereo (though now 7.1 channel) and still play my vinyl records from the 60s indeed I still have a tape Walkman and a portable CD player but none of them sound any better than my MP3 player.

Speakers? Still have a pair of Goodmans Magisters which date from the late 60s with their 16" woofers, midrange and tweeters.

They don't build speakers like that any more.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 07:54 AM

I am not in to techno either. I have three MP3 players and they go with
me on my travels on the bus, train, and plane.
My pleasure is the music I put on them and I like to keep that to myself.
If I have loud speakers on them they wouldn't work and would deafen
me even further.
Glad to hear everyone likes their music no matter how it is fed to us.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 09:35 AM

I have a 'Creative Zen Touch' - and the sound quality is amazing. I use it mostly on long journeys and have several audio books on it as well as music. It raises a few eyebrows among the young Ipod users - but I love it!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have a 'Creative Zen Touch' - and the sound quality is amazing. I use it mostly on long journeys and have several audio books on it as well as music. It raises a few eyebrows among the young Ipod users - but I love it!
My Mp3 player is a Creative Zen too but much older than the Touch however I am loathe to upgrade because it has 32Gb memory which is not available with the Touch (as far as I can find out). I have all my music on it - many 1000s of tracks.

I love it, it goes everywhere with me.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

05-12-2014, 12:50 AM

I'm a dinosaur. I still play vinyl on a turntable. I've been collecting for years, and have roughly 1000 albums. Add the cassette tapes and a few CD's and I've got all that I need. I loved my Sony Walkman, took it almost everywhere.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by donnamarie ->
I'm a dinosaur. I still play vinyl on a turntable. I've been collecting for years, and have roughly 1000 albums. Add the cassette tapes and a few CD's and I've got all that I need. I loved my Sony Walkman, took it almost everywhere.
I heard on the radio the other day that 'vinyl' is set to make a big comeback though I am not sure what it will be played on .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top