Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2014, 11:19 PM

Thermalon (Greepans) instead of Teflon non-stick pans

Thermalon is an organic non-stick coating that does not contain harmful PTFEs that Teflon does (usually released when the heat is up high or after a fair amount of use).

Here is the marketing blurb...

GreenPan™ is the leading brand of ceramic-coated non-stick cookware. The Thermolon™ coating is extremely heat-resistant, meaning if you accidentally overheat your pan, even up to 450°C, no harmful fumes will be released and the coating will not blister or peel.

GreenPan™ offers different shapes, sizes and materials for its cookware so you can choose from hard anodised aluminium, aluminium, stainless steel or tri-ply, and pieces such as woks, skillets, sautés, chefs pans, frypans and saucepans in different sizes.

Depending on the particular product range, GreenPan™ cookware is suitable for all hobs including induction.

As well as the coating, what sets GreenPan™ apart from the rest is its environmental credentials – this cookware really is a 'green' pan!

So what's green about GreenPan™? The ceramic coating Thermolon™ is a natural mineral material and it is applied in an energy-saving process (at a lower heat) which results in up to 60% less CO2 emitted, compared with the application of PTFE (plastic)-coatings on cookware.

All the GreenPan™ ranges use re-cycled material in the bodies and handles. The card used in the packaging is made of recycled materials in a bleach-free process, using the minimum amount of ink.

The ceramic coating itself is a conductor of heat rather than a resistor of heat like PTFE and this means less energy is needed to heat the pan and cooking can be done using less energy.

Then there's the cooking performance. The ceramic coating holds and distributes the heat effectively, meaning food can cook more easily and more quickly, so a lower than usual heat setting is best. High heat is needed only for searing and browning or stir-frying.

Food is released really easily with ceramic non-stick so it is not necessary to use any oil, although you can if you want to add a little oil for its flavour or to crisp up food.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 06:47 AM

Re: Thermalon (Greepans) instead of Teflon non-stick pans

The downside is - they are made from Aluminium, Azz, which has been associated with Alzheimers. Not sure if that has ever been proved and, perhaps, the ceramic coating would protect anyway - but I think I will stay with stainless steel.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 06:56 AM

Ceramic pans are great - I have 2 fry pans and a roasting dish
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 07:50 AM

I still use aluminium pans and have done for years. The notion of them being dangerous and responsible for all manner of ailments is exagerated to the nth. degree.

Aluminium is fairly reactive and quickly oxidised to form a protective layer. This can be further enhanced by anodising. And if your still worried, then just look at all the other aluminium containing products around you !

Recently Tesco had an offer on Fissler cookware. I got a ribbed, coated aluminium square pan and two stainless steel saucepans, which are the best I've used.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 09:01 AM

I use SKK pans as does Delia Smith
http://www.divertimenti.co.uk/Cookwa...skk-24-cm.html

I cook a lot for the whole family and although the initial cost is high they are worth every penny is looked after correctly.

They are also very heavy and free of PTFEs.
http://www.skk-guss.de/en/service_support/free_of_pfoa/
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I still use aluminium pans and have done for years. The notion of them being dangerous and responsible for all manner of ailments is exagerated to the nth. degree.
That is good to know - thank you.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
The downside is - they are made from Aluminium, Azz, which has been associated with Alzheimers. Not sure if that has ever been proved and, perhaps, the ceramic coating would protect anyway - but I think I will stay with stainless steel.
Good point ST. I personally avoid aluminium cookware too - for the same reason you state (as well as the one Grumblewagon points out - that they are reactive), and so would go for the stainless steel Greenpan
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top