Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 01:56 PM

How to keep beef moist for slicing/sandwiches

Sliced beef is full of preservatives and all sorts of nasties (not to mention very expensive!) so I am considering getting a beef joint solely to slice and keep for sandwiches in this hot weather.

But how can you keep the meat moist once it's cooked and been put into a refrigerator?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Re: How to keep beef moist for slicing/sandwiches

If I am going to use the beef for sandwiches that day, I wrap in foil and put in container - in the fridge
Otherwise I freeze in the same way ......
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 04:17 PM

Many years ago I purchased a mini vacuum extractor with re-usable zip-loc bags which is ideal for this sort of situation. Funnily enough some of my bags are no longer as good as they were and was recently looking for replacements. Could not find exact match, but found Amazon has quite a few similar type things. I was going to get one of those big extractor machines plus the rolls of 'bags' (see other post in Grumpy Corner) but then it struck me that every time you create a bag, then cut it open, you reduce its size, until eventually of course there is no bag left. So the zip-loc ones are much more practical.

Oh yeah, and with my son in the house, the joint would not last more than a couple of days anyway lol.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Thanks both, I'm guessing we'd scoff half the roast and half would be left for sandwiches - but I'd want it to last a good few days.

Can you freeze cooked beef and then thaw for Sandwiches Patsy?

Daisymay - good idea re vacuum packing! I will have to look on Amazon to see what they have..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2014, 06:38 AM

You can freeze beef in a lump for sandwiches, just make sure it is wrapped well, otherwise will dry out in freezer ...... Once defrosted in fridge, you can then slice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2014, 09:41 AM

I have frozen beef in the past.
I slice the beef thinly as soon as possible after cooking then wrap tightly in greaseproof and foil.

It does stay moist (providing the original joint was moist and not overcooked) but undoubtably loses something in the freezing.

Better to eat the beef and enjoy it at its best when freshly cooked or the next day at the latest .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2014, 09:59 AM

Of course ! You could slice beforehand, silly me
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

18-05-2014, 10:54 AM

Thanks guys - some really helpful tips in this thread!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2014, 08:53 PM

We buy a huge piece of beef when we want a roast - roast it on Sunday, then on Monday slice it very thinly and put it in a slow cooker and eat it like braised beef. What is left over can then be left in the gravy and put in the fridge. When you want a sandwich simply take a slice or four from the casserole, let the gravy (not all of it) drain off and use it for the most delicious and moist beef sandwich you ever tasted. It is a great way of getting at least three days worth of meals from one piece of beef.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

18-05-2014, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
We buy a huge piece of beef when we want a roast - roast it on Sunday, then on Monday slice it very thinly and put it in a slow cooker and eat it like braised beef. What is left over can then be left in the gravy and put in the fridge. When you want a sandwich simply take a slice or four from the casserole, let the gravy (not all of it) drain off and use it for the most delicious and moist beef sandwich you ever tasted. It is a great way of getting at least three days worth of meals from one piece of beef.
That sounds like a good idea Mick! Could you post a recipe please? I've never used a slow cooker before..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top