Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 01:16 PM

Why can't you tickle yourself?

When someone else even slightly touches my feet I go into a fit of laughing, yet when I try to do it myself nothing happens, we are all made of the same stuff, so how come we cannot tickle our own feet?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Re: Why can't you tickle yourself?

I think its in the 'anticipation' Jem, you tense up too - whereas with yerself you 'know' whats to come, no anticipation - at least I think that's the answer .......
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I think its in the 'anticipation' Jem, you tense up too - whereas with yerself you 'know' whats to come, no anticipation - at least I think that's the answer .......
You have a good point there Patsy, when the little grandson is over I used to ask him to show me where the light is and he points to the ceiling, with his arm outstretched, when his arm is up I tickle underneath it and he lets out a hearty laugh, now when I ask him to show me the light he keeps his arm down, points with his finger and then laughs.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Maybe you are not doing it right Jimmy

Seriously tho, I think it's half expectation and half control - when someone else is doing it you have no idea what/how they will do it and for how long
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

17-05-2014, 02:01 PM

Maybe you are not doing it right Jimmy.

No I'll have to keep practicing Azz. I might try attaching a feather to a stick and sneak up on meself.

But there must be a scientific expiaination for it, maybe someone in the medical field could enlighten us.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 02:05 PM

Here ya go Jimmy:

The answer lies at the back of the brain in an area called the cerebellum, which is involved in monitoring movements. Our studies at University College London have shown that the cerebellum can predict sensations when your own movement causes them but not when someone else does. When you try to tickle yourself, the cerebellum predicts the sensation and this prediction is used to cancel the response of other brain areas to the tickle.

Two brain regions are involved in processing how tickling feels. The somatosensory cortex processes touch and the anterior cingulate cortex processes pleasant information. We found that both these regions are less active during self-tickling than they are during tickling performed by someone else, which helps to explains why it doesn’t feel tickly and pleasant when you tickle yourself. Further studies using robots showed that the presence of a small delay between your own movement and the resulting tickle can make the sensation feel tickly. Indeed, the longer the delay, the more tickly it feels. So it might be possible to tickle yourself, if you are willing to invest in a couple of robots!
From Scientific American's “Ask the Expert” series: http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_quest...4A80A84189EEDF
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Now isn't that what Pats herself did say
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

17-05-2014, 02:11 PM

Thank you indeed Azz. Well that explains it then, I'll just have to save up and buy a few robots.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 04:23 PM

My son bought me one of those foot scrubber thingies, (looks like a plastic footprint with bristles?), and it drives me nuts, I stand in the shower, dollop some soap on it, then grimace as I slide my foot in, as soon as the smaller bristles touch my instep I have to tense up and grit my teeth!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top