Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2014, 11:13 PM

How to sharpen a Knife

Why can't I sharpen a knife properly?
Most of my knife blades are only a fraction of the size they used to be, because all I seem to do is wear the blades away instead of making them sharper! They're all only half sharp - and before some bright spark says it - yes, a bit like me!
Have you folks got a particular gadget you use and could recommend that is simple to use and really works?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2014, 11:29 PM

Re: How to sharpen a Knife

Mups I use a good old fashioned steel. My knives do gradually get smaller though and they are nice and sharp.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Why can't I sharpen a knife properly?
Most of my knife blades are only a fraction of the size they used to be, because all I seem to do is wear the blades away instead of making them sharper! They're all only half sharp - and before some bright spark says it - yes, a bit like me!
Have you folks got a particular gadget you use and could recommend that is simple to use and really works?
I've used all sorts of devices from steels to stones etc but this is the best and easiest to use that I have tried so far. It works really well.

That's one intended for fishermen but it is identical to the one for the home.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 06:35 AM

Fold over a piece of foil a few times, run the foil along as though you are wiping the knife clean. I use this particularly for scissors and works well, be careful though.
If you don't fancy that - have a look on Amazon, may find the Bruce gadget there
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 08:35 AM

With scissors, you just cut through once folded foil, 3 - 4 times, done !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 10:43 PM

Thanks everyone, will give these ideas more thought. Never heard of the tin foil idea before Patsy, must give that a try.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

18-05-2014, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks everyone, will give these ideas more thought. Never heard of the tin foil idea before Patsy, must give that a try.
Works for scissors by just cutting through the foil.
The knife I have sharpened this way is a smooth blade
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 04:13 PM

I have tried many sharpeners in my time but for me this Swiss knife sharpener from Lakeland really works
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/1954/Swiss-Knife-Sharpener.

I think also available from Amazon and other outlets
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2014, 06:02 PM

I think the problem is many people are not sure how to us a steel.
I was shown an easy way by a chef which involves no arm waving...
.. you hold the steel in one hand with the tip pointing towards you and rest it against your stomach,
..now you slide the knife along the middle of the steel from the top of the knife to tip (heel to toe),
..turn the knife over and repeat for a razor sharp knife.

The angle of the knife is important, it needs to be about 20 degrees...

This is similar to the method I use but holding the steel on a board...

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

21-05-2014, 11:12 PM

That's a really good video Meg, very well demonstrated I thought. Thankyou.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top