Join for free
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2014, 03:25 PM

The Santa Maria found in Haiti

I know it sounds silly but I am really excited about this find.
When I was at school over 50 years ago I used to love the
story of Christopher Columbus and his three ships the Nina,
the Pinto, and the Santa Maria.
They have now verified that a wreck found in the North of
Haiti aka Hispanola was the Santa Maria. It ran into rocks in 1492 and Chris had to build a settlement on the coast where he was. He managed to go back to Spain on the Nina, leaving 39 men behind who couldn't get on that ship and went back a year later to try and find them. Sad story being they were not there and the houses were burnt down.
So back to the Santa Maria. Found at last after 522 years.

Just a fotenote to this story. At school and even now on quiz games you have to say it was Christopher Columbus who discovered America. Therefore, I was upset in later life to find out that when reducated find out that the discovery of America could have been 500 years before CC by Leif Erikson a Viking but whoever or whatever it was how fab that they discovered something by being humans and going forth instead of sitting on their behind watching tv.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2014, 05:08 PM

Re: The Santa Maria found in Haiti

That's good to hear Sandy, should bring a lot of badly needed tourism to Haiti, if it stays there, they could do with a shot in the arm after all the disasters they've had.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I know it sounds silly but I am really excited about this find.
When I was at school over 50 years ago I used to love the
story of Christopher Columbus and his three ships the Nina,
the Pinto, and the Santa Maria.
They have now verified that a wreck found in the North of
Haiti aka Hispanola was the Santa Maria. It ran into rocks in 1492 and Chris had to build a settlement on the coast where he was. He managed to go back to Spain on the Nina, leaving 39 men behind who couldn't get on that ship and went back a year later to try and find them. Sad story being they were not there and the houses were burnt down.
So back to the Santa Maria. Found at last after 522 years.

Just a fotenote to this story. At school and even now on quiz games you have to say it was Christopher Columbus who discovered America. Therefore, I was upset in later life to find out that when reducated find out that the discovery of America could have been 500 years before CC by Leif Erikson a Viking but whoever or whatever it was how fab that they discovered something by being humans and going forth instead of sitting on their behind watching tv.
Erikson called it Vinland but if you look back even further there's a possibility that the Phoenicians may have discovered it long before the Vikings because the Vikings were following an ancient route passed down by previous explorers over Centuries.

Lots of weird stuff about if you look around, like the Piri Reis map that shows Antarctica ice-free! stevmk2
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2014, 06:12 PM

It could equally have been the Russians (or what is now Russia) who discovered and colonised the American continent, crossing Bering straits into Alaska and then down the western side of the American continent.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2014, 12:39 AM

According to the news this morning a 500 year old cannon from the wreck has been stolen already.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2014, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
It could equally have been the Russians (or what is now Russia) who discovered and colonised the American continent, crossing Bering straits into Alaska and then down the western side of the American continent.
Joe me old pal, me old beauty. It is undisputed that Man crossed the Bering land bridge during much of the Pleistocene. There are no evidence of apes in the Americas so it is thought that only modern man ventured that far east in search of the plentiful woolly mammoths and mega fauna that existed at that time.

Well, that's all I know about it.

BTW the Pleistocene was from something like 2 million years to 10000 years ago (that may not be exactly right but close enough)
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2014, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Joe me old pal, me old beauty. It is undisputed that Man crossed the Bering land bridge during much of the Pleistocene. There are no evidence of apes in the Americas so it is thought that only modern man ventured that far east in search of the plentiful woolly mammoths and mega fauna that existed at that time.

Well, that's all I know about it.

BTW the Pleistocene was from something like 2 million years to 10000 years ago (that may not be exactly right but close enough)
Blimey, didn't realise Morph was that old.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2014, 08:44 AM

Sadly the wreck has been plundered for the past 10 years, since it was first discovered. It is only now that they believe it is the Santa Maria.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2014, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the extras everyone. I hadn't read that someone had
already nicked the cannon.
Love the Morph joke

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top