Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 03:31 AM

No Name Products

Over here we have no name products in our stores or store brand. They're cheaper & no difference or not much difference in quality.

I'm not trying to be dumb, just wondering if the UK or other countries have them too.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 04:57 AM

Re: No Name Products

When you say "no name" do you mean the product's name or that of the manufacturer ? If the latter I don't think we have those but I have seen tins without labels for sale and you take pot luck what's in them.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 06:26 AM

I think Supermarkets here have 'Own Brands' or 'Basic Value' products - not sure.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 08:09 AM

As Silver Tabby has stated, usually cheaper and many are just as good but some leave something to be desired. Trial and error is the way. The Main supermarkits had it there own way for a long time, however with discount stores on the rise they are now starting to try and grab back some of the lost trade.
Purdy
Yorkshire. UK
Purdy is female  Purdy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 08:24 AM

some of the supermarkets own brand is good, but you have to watch the prices as well, some are not cheaper than brand makes.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 08:41 AM

I go to Tescos and they sell non branded tins of peas, beans etc.
They cost say 23p instead of about 50p for Heinz beans. I prefer
the Heinz so pay more for them. I like what I eat and I don't try
and get cheap food, that's something I wont skimp on. You are
what you eat as they say.
So Autumn I think the question you asked is yes we do here in England.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 09:27 AM

We have them in spades here. The local supermarkets have their own brands, indeed they have a really cheap one in very plain packaging and a slightly more expensive one in a rip off of a manufacturer's package.

stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 09:58 AM

We've been going over to different makes of some of the basics we buy for years now and at the moment it's mainly from ALDI although we still occasionally use LIDL too.

Some of the big supermarket "Basics" or "Own Brand" types are a bit of a let-down we've found but usually the ones that we do buy in ALDI are excellent and often better than big-name-brands or I should perhaps say, as far as our tastes are concerned; we don't live on tinned foods!

There are a few things where we do still by the big name brands because it is often a question of that taste with us but that's not just tinned foods of course.

Some of the things we see in supermarkets now are quite intriguing and we recently tried African products in a meal which were absolutely lovely as far as I'm concerned, although my wife found it too spicy and we regularly buy Polish / Eastern-European, Spanish and German foodstuffs. stevmk2
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 09:02 PM

Thanks everyone, you got what I meant so that covers food items. What about items in the pharmacy, hair care, bed sheets, etc etc.

WalMart here has their 'Equate' brand name which covers a number of dry goods products whereas food items are called 'Great Value'.

In the grocery stores, one chain of markets called No Frills which is already cheaper than some fancier grocery stores, has their own trademark 'No Name' products. Their packaging is yellow with black writing.

At No Frills, you pack your own groceries in bags you buy for ¢5 each or bring your own.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2014, 09:37 PM

I had a cousin who worked in the factory of a large food concern here and I remember asking her about this, she said the same food went into the brand packets as went into the non brand packets, absolutely no difference except for the price, but they were not supposed to tell anyone about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top