Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 08:30 AM

Guidance Wanted.

Being a kind-hearted person and therefore not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings I would like a list of those words which, although common-place and innocuous in my formative years, are likely to offend someone somewhere today. I assume that some Whitehall mandarin has such a list filed away in his sumptuous office. I would then be able to say what comes natural to me avoiding such hurtful words. Eenie, meanie, minie, mo........
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 08:49 AM

Re: Guidance Wanted.

Think before you speak - is a way of avoiding misunderstanding Alan, if even then, you find a negative reaction, put it right immediately and all is well.
Its hard to say which words offend, as we all react differently
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Its always difficult when posting anything on here or texting because there is no obvious emotion or sense of fun. I always pop a smiley or sad emoticon on if I think things could be misconstrued.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Being a kind-hearted person and therefore not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings I would like a list of those words which, although common-place and innocuous in my formative years, are likely to offend someone somewhere today. I assume that some Whitehall mandarin has such a list filed away in his sumptuous office. I would then be able to say what comes natural to me avoiding such hurtful words. Eenie, meanie, minie, mo........
...........catch a nipper by his toe."

Very noble Alan.............
but a veritable can of worms or,
if you prefer, Pandoras's box
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Its always difficult when posting anything on here or texting because there is no obvious emotion or sense of fun. I always pop a smiley or sad emoticon on if I think things could be misconstrued.
Smilies - and lack of them, are a very good clue as to the intention of a post
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Smilies - and lack of them, are a very good clue as to the intention of a post
Not always some people take it seriously even when we use to denote a joke

As to words that offend if you wouldn't call your granny the name then don't call anyone else it is my way of knowing what I can say. Oh and name calling is always bad especially on a forum !
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 10:40 AM

I am the same Patsy I like my little smilies.

The word sometimes used in the little rhyme you mentioned Alan
had a N word not now allowed. Things have changed as that's
what a lot of black dogs were called in my youth. Including a very
famous Labrador owned by a Captain of the men in the Battle of Britain
in 1940. Who would wait every time they flew off hoping for him
to come back.
Racism has been around for thousands of years and I think it will
take longer than a few years to stop just because some legislation
has been made. I don't know what you can do with the Politically
correct.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Alan, just try to avoid talking to humans, there are so many ignorant, egotistic, aggressive, mendatious humans around that, for most at least, it ain't worth engaging in any conversation with them. In the words of Anthony Newly "Please stop the world I want to get off."
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-05-2014, 10:45 AM

Hi Losos - how bloomin true !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-05-2014, 10:46 AM

[IMG]Not always some people take it seriously even when we use to denote a joke[/IMG] Quote Julie

True - but they should know better !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top