Join for free
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 02:16 PM

More efficient? do me a favour!

As have mentioned before, I live on top floor of three storey block with no lift, so unless my son is available to carry stuff up two flights of stairs I have to rely on home delivery services, which can be erratic to say the least.

The one time I tried Asda the driver buzzed the entrance buzzer then asked me to go down and carry my shopping up myself as he was 'not allowed to leave the van' What?? I explained carefully that the whole point of using the service was to avoid having to lug heavy bags up the stairs myself, and that if he was not prepared to do so then he could take the lot back. They refunded my money but have never offered an apology or explanation.

Iceland, which are free by the way, deliver with no problems whatsoever.

Tesco, ah there's the rub. They have recently changed the store which makes the delivery, to a closer one, saying that this is for the convenience of the customer as it allows for more deliveries in our post code areas, much of which is rural.

BUT and it is a big BUT, the new store is actually much smaller and carries fewer items resulting in several things being 'no longer available', which means that in order to get ALL the items I want I still have to go into town, troll around pushing a heavy trolley, and either wait for a day/time my son can come and collect me and carry stuff up the stairs, or pay £10 for a taxi and hope the driver will help.

Needless to say I have sent a severely worded e-mail to Tesco on the subject, not that I have any hopes it will make a difference.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 02:22 PM

Re: More efficient? do me a favour!

I hope your Email does work.
Its not too much to ask is it.
Have you noticed the smaller Tescos are a fair bit pricier than the big stores.....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 02:24 PM

Now I've had the opposite experience with Tesco they have moved our deliveries to a store further away but much bigger so we have better choice. Also don't try sainsburys they did to me what ASDA did to you only the driver refused to take the delivery back and dumped it in the carpark !

Iceland won't deliver to us as we are a first floor flat but they were up front when I placed the order so fair enough I thought.

Waitrose is very iffy sometimes doesn't even come the day it's ordered for they just turn up or not depending how the drivers feel !

Ocado who now carry morrisons used to be good when they carried waitrose but I haven't tried them since they changed the store they serviced.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 06:34 PM

I thought Ocado sold their own stuff - didn't realise they were tied in with supermarkets like Waitrose or Morrrisons.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
As have mentioned before, I live on top floor of three storey block with no lift, so unless my son is available to carry stuff up two flights of stairs I have to rely on home delivery services, which can be erratic to say the least.

The one time I tried Asda the driver buzzed the entrance buzzer then asked me to go down and carry my shopping up myself as he was 'not allowed to leave the van' What?? I explained carefully that the whole point of using the service was to avoid having to lug heavy bags up the stairs myself, and that if he was not prepared to do so then he could take the lot back. They refunded my money but have never offered an apology or explanation.

Iceland, which are free by the way, deliver with no problems whatsoever.

Tesco, ah there's the rub. They have recently changed the store which makes the delivery, to a closer one, saying that this is for the convenience of the customer as it allows for more deliveries in our post code areas, much of which is rural.

BUT and it is a big BUT, the new store is actually much smaller and carries fewer items resulting in several things being 'no longer available', which means that in order to get ALL the items I want I still have to go into town, troll around pushing a heavy trolley, and either wait for a day/time my son can come and collect me and carry stuff up the stairs, or pay £10 for a taxi and hope the driver will help.

Needless to say I have sent a severely worded e-mail to Tesco on the subject, not that I have any hopes it will make a difference.
Think with the Tesco the smaller stores are more pricey and wont make any difference if you complained to them.

With Asda would have created merry hell with their head office and it "might" have made a difference.

Tesco is losing the plot big time
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 08:17 PM

Tesco say the rent on the smaller premises and having to pay staff more to work in the expresses makes the products more expensive.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Yes we are going backwards instead of forwards in my opinion.
There never seemed to be any delivery problems back in the 50' and early 60's, all the 'Good' shops had a fleet of messenger boys standing by, I worked the job meself for a year before I started an apprenticeship. We were kept busy all day and under strict orders to be polite and helpful to all the customers, I was only 14 and it helped to give me a good knowledge of the city layout, gave me confidence in heavy traffic and I met some interesting people, we all went about our work on the messenger bikes happy as Larry, come Christmas and the customers were very generous to us lads. I have some fond memories of that year.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top