Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 10:14 AM

A neighbour is repairing bikes outside my flat

The design of the car park is that 6 flats in this block (mine) overlook the carpark, while flats 7-12 and 13-18 run along the grounds away from the carpark. A bloke from the last section has, for many months now, been working almost outside my bedroom window repairing bikes. He's out there now, started about 9.30. He had one revving recently, and let it go for ages.

Now, he and his missus are mouthy creatures, and have disturbed me in the night several times in the past, and another neighbour has said they can be nasty. So I don't want a confrontation.

So. Given my history of forever complaining to my housing association, do I complain yet again? Or do I do it anonymously? He is doing it nowhere near his home, so his family get away from it scot free. We've put up with it at weekends, and evenings. He tinkers away for hours sometimes.

The 'other neighbour' said he was mending it for a friend, but I last spoke to her in February, and it might even have been in January we discussed it. It's now nearly May and still there are two bikes out there (there is a third, which belongs to another resident.). They are taking up parking spaces and are obviously not road worthy.

I'm concerned he has a little sideline going and wonder if maybe my HA should be alerted to it. There are spaces available in the c/park where he could go and not disturb anybody, right at the back!

I think I'm going to look for my handbook before I dive in, and do my homework.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 10:17 AM

Re: A neighbour is repairing bikes outside my flat

Do you have a video camera - I would use that for starters .....
Then report ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Living in a flat myself I know people can be thoughtless when they do things but I would urge pick your battles. Is it really a problem or is it a problem because they are horrible people anyway ?

Sometimes getting het up about it is doing just what they want you to do so appearing serene and happy can really annoy them more.

Obviously I am not there just thinking about my own flats so ignore me if it doesn't apply to you.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Cant stand revving - especially if its ongoing ....
So, if it was filmed first, then see how it goes - before reporting, at least the evidence is there
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 11:47 AM

I'd hate that noise too Jazzi. Why should it always be you though, doesn't anyone else ever say anything?
What with one thing and another there, can't you manage to move away altogether?
BTW, what was the outcome of your noise recording sessions?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'd hate that noise too Jazzi. Why should it always be you though, doesn't anyone else ever say anything?
What with one thing and another there, can't you manage to move away altogether?
BTW, what was the outcome of your noise recording sessions?
We've covered this Mups, I can't just walk away from the flat this very minute, as much as I'd like to. Waiting to hear on the equipment, but I doubt it'll be sufficient.

I've come home from the bank and shopping, to find the bloke out there, and the gardeners with their noisy machines. I'm feeling desperately tired and want a lie down. Where?! I feel my ears are being assaulted.

He's tinkering on the bike now and sometimes has a radio playing, though for months he wore headphones.

Feeling grumpy. When I come home from hospital I will have pretty much nowhere to rest. I can see a caravan holiday looming on the near horizon, providing I can drive.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Ear defenders is the answer I think Jazzi even if it's just while you have a rest. When I used to work nights they were the only thing allowed me to get some sleep during the day.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-04-2014, 01:23 PM

Lifes a bitch sometimes or at least the people in it.
I'm sick to death of inconsiderate people, there too many of them !!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

28-04-2014, 01:29 PM

Indeed but gardeners have to work sometime and people even have to repair bikes sometime. We squash people together in flats with no thought to if their lifestyles are compatible. That's the biggest problem IMO
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-04-2014, 01:31 PM

It would be OK if it were his bike and nearer his property, sounds like a place of work he has set up, his wife wouldn't like the noise outside here door now would she ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top