Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 04:14 PM

Do You Buy Made In England?

Do you care where your clothes, food products, cars, tools, etc etc are made? Do you try to buy what's manufactured in your country depending on what it is, or whatever is cheapest?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 04:19 PM

Re: Do You Buy Made In England?

[QUOTE=AutumnColour;437163]Do you care where your clothes, food products, cars, tools, etc etc are made? Do you try to buy what's manufactured in your country depending on what it is, or whatever is cheapest?[/QUOTE

Have to go by price .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 04:20 PM

I buy a lot of second hand stuff so origin doesn't really come into my thinking, but anything new I do try to buy British if possible. Fabric I find difficult to source from British manufacturers these days so that does come from many countries.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 04:41 PM

I'm very disappointed with Marks & Spencer because all their clothing was once British made but now they come from China or Thailand. Was much better quality when it was British made. Now though I don't bother where it comes from, it's the price that counts now.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 05:05 PM

I'd like to think that buying British meant saving British jobs but it doesn't mean that any more does it?

I've tried buying British too - have you?

It's almost impossible these days because you have to check where ingredients come from or where the thing is assembled because the ambiguity of the legislation allows this!

I followed a trail a few months back on one thing that I considered buying; it took in 5 countries and 14 transport movements within the EU to find out it cost DOUBLE in the UK to the retail price in France.

Why?

If we are all in a European Union why does something that I want to buy in the UK cost twice as much as it costs someone in Toulouse, Madrid, Turin, Lyon or Menton?

The day a politician can answer THAT is the day I might consider voting for him / his Party! stevmk2
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 05:10 PM

This depends on what I'm after. I tend to go quality and price. To be honest, I never look at where it's made.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 05:19 PM

I buy British when I can, food particularly, but unless you're willing to spend a lot of money then it has to be anything but British for everything else and, yes, agree with the comment about M&S, very difficult to find anything there that's made in the UK.
As for buying in Europe, we spent several months in different parts of France and EVERYTHING there from clothes to food was way more expensive than the UK, so glad to back to Blighty.
AliceB
Cheshire
AliceB is female  AliceB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 06:35 PM

I won't buy chicken/fish unless I know that it's been reliably sourced. I gave up buying king prawns when I saw a programme about the breeding technique.

I like to buy British fruit veggies when they're in season - more taste than the imported products. I think the supermarkets urge us to buy 'what you want, when you want, regardless of season' with the result that taste often goes out the window.

British made clothes are hard to find and imports are cheaper - maybe don't last that long, but don't cost too much. The customer has no way of tracking manufacturing conditions - we can only hope that our shops use manufacturers with a decent work ethic...........

Gwyn
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
This depends on what I'm after. I tend to go quality and price. To be honest, I never look at where it's made.
Same here Graham.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 08:57 PM

Not a lot is made in the UK now is it? Every developing country is exploited and at the moment stuff made in China is all the rage. Comes down to market forces and price is paramount with nearly everyone lets face it. Even so something of quality from China will still be a lot cheaper than made here owing to mainly the chinese being paid peanuts. One day, when all developing countries are developed, there will be a level playing field. Some time to go before then though .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top