Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 08:46 AM

Municipal recycling sites.

I'm talking about what we used to call DUMPS.

Now they are well organised , efficient & clean. Lucrative for some.
Our local site is very large & very busy. Also well used by opportunists, mostly Eastern Europeans who wander around exchanging wads of tenners, whilst scanning the arrivals & departures for good stuff.
And good stuff there is abundant. No end of computers, tv's, dyson vacuums, furniture, mirrors & strangely always loads of big aquariums, clean ones.
My grandaughter moved into her first flat last year & we kitted out the flat for about £75, (a new bed though).

My penchant is for old galvanised watering cans, which I use for growing flowering annuals & which I paint & give away as presents. I have 9 at the moment & have had as many as 29.

That is all I have to say on this subject.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:03 AM

Re: Municipal recycling sites.

It is a lucrative business these days - cost me £50 to have me old bed taken away !
Other than that, they work very well don't they ......
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Unfortunetly councils are not getting as much from the goverments ,so our local tip is being closed down,this means travelling further to the one which is open .What we see happening though is more fly tipping .
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:24 AM

There's a "Rag & Bone" man regularly patrols this area with his little truck picking up old metallic things like fridges or washing machines. I presume he makes a decent living out of it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Unfortunetly councils are not getting as much from the goverments ,so our local tip is being closed down,this means travelling further to the one which is open .What we see happening though is more fly tipping .
Isn't that ridiculous - but typical !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-04-2014, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
There's a "Rag & Bone" man regularly patrols this area with his little truck picking up old metallic things like fridges or washing machines. I presume he makes a decent living out of it.
Well, I wish we had one ! Fab
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 11:00 AM

We have a Rag and Bone man, he lives in a lovely house with lots of land.
So yes, they must make a good living.
The eastern Europeans come round at around 5am, take the charity bags and sort through the skips.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 11:22 AM

I use a recycling centre locally and one in Bedfordshire and both will not 'sell' goods & materials which have been brought in for recycling.

To be honest I thought this was against the law because in Bedfordshire at least the local lads there told me they'd get the sack if the sold anything because, once it's entered the yard it belongs to Viridor, the company contracted to do the job for the Council.

In Milton Keynes computer are no longer sold-on but broken down, hard drives removed and destroyed.

Someone I knew told me that 75% of computers discarded in the UK ended up being shipped to Nigeria and the Eastern Bloc where information could be retrieved for criminal purposes.

It still happens but I'm almost sure Councils do not or should not sell-on anything where there's a data issue or an electrical item that could be unsafe.

In Bedfordshire they cut off the mains leads close to the unit of destroy the female socket if it has a fly led rather than fixed. stevmk2
david
Hervey Bay Australia
david is male  david has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 11:26 AM

Councils not getting enough money.
Land rates, Water rates, Garbage collection charges. Bush fire levy, Council parking and Parking meters.
NOT ENOUGH MONEY LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 02:41 PM

There is recycling and scavenging, The state government taxes landfill to encourage recycling. At the tip the recycling is done by the same contractor who collects the bins, where the glass, metal, paper and plastic collected in the recycle bins is sorted, it is not resold to the public (as far as I know).

Green waste is mulched and you can collect that for free.

Scavenging rights at the tip are owned by the local aboriginal land council and they resell anything they find to the public. People also take items there for them to resell rather than pay to dump it (don't know if money changes hands in that case).

Red for rubbish, Yellow for recycling, Green for green waste.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top