Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 10:31 PM

How do you measure smell?

I came across a plant called the Rafflesia Arnoldi, it has the worlds largest and smelliest flower, it's also known as the Corpse plant on account of it smelling of rotten flesh. Some people actually buy these things, yuk!
That got me thinking and I asked meself how do they measure smell, is it scentibytes? I looked it up and a unit is called an 'Olf'. not a lot of people know that, I certainly didn't. Now I know why Dick Emery made a face when he used to say "Oh you are Olful", I've been called a lot of things in me day but never an 'Ole Fanger', thats the name of the chap who introduced it. Strange World isn't it.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Olf is a unit used to measure the strength of a pollution source. It was introduced by Danish professor P. Ole Fanger; the name "Olf" is derived from the Latin word olfactus, meaning "smelled".[1]
One Olf is the sensory pollution strength from a standard person defined as an average adult working in an office or similar non–industrial workplace, sedentary and in thermal comfort, with a hygienic standard equivalent of 0.7 baths per day and whose skin has a total area of 1.8 square metres. It was defined to quantify the strength of pollution sources which can be perceived by humans.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 10:38 PM

Re: How do you measure smell?

Wow, you learn something knew everyday, just wish I could remember it! Just joshing ��
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 10:48 PM

I was just wondering did many folks know about the Olf AC, I suppose you would have to have some type of measurement for smells, for gas leaks, perfumes and the likes. There is an antiseptic widely used over here called TCP, if you only put a tiny drop of it on your finger (as I often have to with the cuts I get working) it can be smelt all over the pub when I go in, must be at least 2 Olf's to do that.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 10:58 PM

The TCP smell is very strong Jem ...... it tastes Olful too
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

03-04-2014, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
The TCP smell is very strong Jem ...... it tastes Olful too
It does indeed Mags, I find it's great stuff, been using it for donkeys years.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 06:58 AM

They have (or had ) one of those 'Corpse Plants' in Kew garden. It has a short flowering period and, unfortunately, chose to do it on a hot summer day when I was visiting there. Trust me - rotting corpses is an understatement - it is truly foul !
Verona
New Member!
US
Verona is female 

04-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Imagine finding one of these flowers growing in your yard! Would you get rid of it or keep growing it for a conversation piece?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 07:47 AM

With an Odourometer?.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 03:06 PM

Many years ago I used to work with a bloke who had very smelly feet, smells at that workplace were measured on the Welling scale.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
With an Odourometer?.

Same as a Smellometer.

Also known as Whiffometers, depends what part of the country you come from.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top