Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 05:46 PM

Wrong Side of Road

Have you ever been to a country where the driving was opposite of what you're used to?
Did you have any 'near misses' either in a car yourself or walking?

Not me, as the furthest I've ever been out of Ontario was Buffalo, NY ha ha.
We drive on the same side.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 06:03 PM

Re: Wrong Side of Road

I never found driving on the wrong side difficult, although I have had a few momentary lapses, usually first thing in the morning when you forget yourself for a moment. But I have had no incidents.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 06:10 PM

Whenever my OH has been driving on the wrong side of the road in France I was always with him and kept repeating '' be careful, I am in the middle, don't forget!'' He did forget occasionally but not for long and we had no problems, thank goodness.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 06:41 PM

When I was in my early 20s I went touring Europe by motorbike and had no problems driving on the right. However, I continued to drive on the right when I got back to Dover and gave a lorry driver a bit of a scare !
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 08:39 PM

My very first trip driving through Spain and on day one I drove the wrong way round a roundabout. Two motorbike cops watched me as I went by and I thought Oh fffffliping 'eck!! but they just ignored me. I guess they were thinking Another silly Englishman.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 09:32 PM

Years ago, in the 70's my sister & brother-in-law were in an accident. The car was being driven by a Danish friend who was over here on holiday. He went on the wrong side of the road. B.I.L. suffered a severed aorta, nearly died, sister was found wandering in the road with broken hip, driver was OK.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 09:35 PM

I hired a car in Malta some years ago and the car hire guy said "Don't worry about driving on the left or the right, we Maltese drive in the shade" Very disconcerting I thought.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 09:36 PM

Know what you mean, we hired one there, no brakes!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2014, 10:49 PM

I can't imagine driving on the other side of the road. I'd probably cause an accident dithering about wondering where to go on roundabouts.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 12:26 PM

I've been driving on the "wrong side" of the road for the past 14 years and its no different to driving on the "right side" .... you just do everything the opposite way round. The most difficult thing I found to get used to when I had my first Hungarian car, was having to change gear with my right hand and not my left!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top