Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 04:15 PM

You know you are in small town Ireland when...

...the breakdown guy arrives from the local garage, looks at you and says "John Hurley's girlfriend". Given that it is the best part of forty years since we parted company and said John Hurley has been married for at least 25 of those years, I'd rather just be me...

And I suspect his wife might prefer that too!

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 04:22 PM

Re: You know you are in small town Ireland when...

Love that - you cant beat the Irish 'way' of things
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Love that - you cant beat the Irish 'way' of things
It's funny mostly, Patsy, although the downside is that you can end up labelled for life by your past.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 04:50 PM

I know ! But, they have the charm to get away with it, for me anyway.
Love the country - love the people
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 05:26 PM

I hope he gave you a few quid off, seeing that he knew John Hurley.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

31-03-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I hope he gave you a few quid off, seeing that he knew John Hurley.
Jem, if YOU knew John Hurley you would probably ask if he charged me a few quid more...He's a local shopkeeper.

As it happens, it didn't cost me anything as it was through my insurance policy.

By the way, have you come across Jim Dix in your work?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 07:46 PM

By the way, have you come across Jim Dix in your work?[/QUOTE]
Everyone in the jewellery trade here knows of Dix the suppliers, they have a place in Dublin on the South Quays, they have been there for donkeys years, I don't know any of the family personally but my wife would know those in the shop, she gets anything I need when she's in town. I have bought a fair bit of equipment over the years from Dix. They are Cork people I believe.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

31-03-2014, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
By the way, have you come across Jim Dix in your work?
Everyone in the jewellery trade here knows of Dix the suppliers, they have a place in Dublin on the South Quays, they have been there for donkeys years, I don't know any of the family personally but my wife would know those in the shop, she gets anything I need when she's in town. I have bought a fair bit of equipment over the years from Dix. They are Cork people I believe.[/QUOTE]

Indeed they are, West Cork, and Jim Dix is a friend of John Hurley...and also a friend of mine going back years and years.A very decent man, although plagued with a few problems.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top