Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 02:58 PM

My car

...is dead as a dodo

It was absolutely fine yesterday and today the battery appears to be dead. Not even enough power to switch on the dashboard or radio clock, although enough to just barely illuminate an internal light. How can a battery go from normal to dead overnight (no, I did not leave any lights on) and does this imply something else faulty going on?

Bennie was not amused that he didn't get his walk at his usual favourite place this morning...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 03:01 PM

Re: My car

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
...is dead as a dodo

It was absolutely fine yesterday and today the battery appears to be dead. Not even enough power to switch on the dashboard or radio clock, although enough to just barely illuminate an internal light. How can a battery go from normal to dead overnight (no, I did not leave any lights on) and does this imply something else faulty going on?

Bennie was not amused that he didn't get his walk at his usual favourite place this morning...

Has the battery been charging whilst the car was running??? may be the alternator is faulty???
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 03:07 PM

Well if it wasn't that should show up on a light on the dashboard when driving, and it didn't. Hoping to get it jump started tomorrow and head for the garage.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 03:15 PM

How annoying Ania . The same thing happened to me and I had to get my son to bring a new battery.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

30-03-2014, 03:30 PM

I hope that's all I need, Meg. Did yours seem to go overnight as well?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 03:33 PM

Happened to my brother in law last week. Popped in a supermarket to do some shopping and couldn't start the car as it was totally dead. No warning that anything was going wrong - just dead as a doornail. Called the AA and the guy fitted a new battery and all was well again.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

30-03-2014, 03:36 PM

That's encouraging, Mark. Fingers crossed. It is 7 years old, so maybe due to die?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I hope that's all I need, Meg. Did yours seem to go overnight as well?
Yes Ania. I was at home and had used it the day before no problem. It wasn't slow to start and nothing had been left on.

The same thing happened with my newer current car. I went to the post office, got back in the car and a message I didn't have time to read flashed on dashboard display.
Everything seemed ok so I drove a mile to the supermarket, came out with the shopping only to find the car was dead I was in a panic because I didn't know the car very well.

I was two miles from home and belong to the RAC so called them out. The man said straight away it was the battery and he replaced it there and then.

The RAC man said a battery life is about three years .
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

30-03-2014, 03:52 PM

Thanks, Meg. Actually I've just checked my car insurance policy and it seems they include breakdown assistance at home so am going to ring them.
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 04:18 PM

Biggest problem is if you have one of those cars where if you leave the indicator stalk to one side or the other when you park it turns the side front and rear park lights on that side, left overnight thus will flatten the battery. Leaving something like a glove box internal light on will also do it !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top