Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Teddy
U.S.A.
Teddy is male  Teddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 01:23 PM

Definition of humanism (n)

Definition of humanism (n)
Bing Dictionary
hu·man·ism[ hyóomə nìzzəm ]1.belief in human-based morality: a system of thought that is based on the values, characteristics, and behavior that are believed to be best in human beings, rather than on any supernatural authority
2.concern for people: a concern with the needs, well-being, and interests of people
3.Renaissance cultural movement: the secular cultural and intellectual movement of the Renaissance that spread throughout Europe as a result of the rediscovery of the arts and philosophy of the ancient Greeks and Romans
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 01:34 PM

Re: Definition of humanism (n)

What's your point Teddy?
Teddy
U.S.A.
Teddy is male  Teddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 01:39 PM

No point , just thought others would like to know like myself.
I look at it all , and enjoy others point of view on things about life and how to live it.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 01:43 PM

Where abouts are you in the USA, Teddy? Some Brits think that the US = Disney land, but it's a BIG place.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Teddy ->
No point , just thought others would like to know like myself.
I look at it all , and enjoy others point of view on things about life and how to live it.
Hi Teddy as you appear to be interest in Humanists here is some information about them for you and a couple of quotes

Roughly speaking, the word humanist has come to mean someone who:

trusts to the scientific method when it comes to understanding how the universe works and rejects the idea of the supernatural (and is therefore an atheist or agnostic)
makes their ethical decisions based on reason, empathy, and a concern for human beings and other sentient animals
believes that, in the absence of an afterlife and any discernible purpose to the universe, human beings can act to give their own lives meaning by seeking happiness in this life and helping others to do the same.
However, definitions abound and there are longer and shorter versions. The fullest definition to have a measure of international agreement is contained in the 2002 Amsterdam Declaration of the International humanist and Ethical Union. Some others include:

…a commitment to the perspective, interests and centrality of human persons; a belief in reason and autonomy as foundational aspects of human existence; a belief that reason, scepticism and the scientific method are the only appropriate instruments for discovering truth and structuring the human community; a belief that the foundations for ethics and society are to be found in autonomy and moral equality…

- Concise Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy

An appeal to reason in contrast to revelation or religious authority as a means of finding out about the natural world and destiny of man, and also giving a grounding for morality…Humanist ethics is also distinguished by placing the end of moral action in the welfare of humanity rather than in fulfilling the will of God.

- Oxford Companion to Philosophy

Believing that it is possible to live confidently without metaphysical or religious certainty and that all opinions are open to revision and correction, [Humanists] see human flourishing as dependent on open communication, discussion, criticism and unforced consensus.

- Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy

That man should show respect to man, irrespective of class, race or creed is fundamental to the humanist attitude to life. Among the fundamental moral principles, he would count those of freedom, justice, tolerance and happiness…the attitude that people can live an honest, meaningful life without following a formal religious creed.

- Pears Cyclopaedia, 87th edition, 1978

Rejection of religion in favour of the advancement of humanity by its own efforts.

https://humanism.org.uk/humanism/

“Being a humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead.”
- Kurt Vonnegut .
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Just been to a Humanist funeral for the first time ever . I found it to be a lovely funeral and very cheerful as funerals go .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
Just been to a Humanist funeral for the first time ever . I found it to be a lovely funeral and very cheerful as funerals go .
I have never been to one Abbey but my son has as described here...

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...970#post125970
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 04:45 PM

Meg, you have converted me - I am an Humanist.
Teddy
U.S.A.

26-03-2014, 05:00 PM

I live in the state of Delaware .
Teddy
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2014, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Teddy ->
I live in the state of Delaware .
Teddy
That's a coincidence Teddy, Perry Como was on the radio five minutes ago singing "What did Delaware...she wore a brand New Jersey" Remember that old song?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top