Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 07:01 PM

Women's fashion hairpieces.

I didn't want to say 'Wigs' in the title, doesn't look right. I was wondering what happened to the craze for women wearing them, do women still wear wigs nowadays as fashion accessories? I remember in the 70's my wife bought a styled dark brown wig, I was hoping she'd get a blonde one but no such luck, she used to wear it at parties and on Saturday nights in the pub, very handy it was, just stick it on and out you go, saves you waiting ages for her to do 'Her hair'. My daughter bought one for a wedding a few years ago but I haven't seen it on her since. I always thought they were a great idea and I could never tell the difference between a wig and the real thing, but then again I'm easily fooled.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Re: Women's fashion hairpieces.

I think mine from when I lost my hair to chemo is still around somewhere, niece used to play with it when she was a child more than I ever wore it. Hot and scratchy as I remember it. So not keen on them myself, much preferred a soft scarf.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 07:08 PM

Jem a lot of women now have 'extensions' weaved into their short hair to make it long rather than full wigs.
There are some good wigs around made of real hair and they are virtually undetectable. I wouldn't like to wear one unless I had a medical condition , I would imagine they are hot and not very comfortable like a tight hat.

I see quite a lot of men with wigs around here, I am afraid I think they look ridiculous.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 07:28 PM

Used to love wearing wigs in the 60s all the rage they were - now I have a couple but they are uncomfortable and hot to wear .....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 07:29 PM

I do understand about the medical aspect of wearing one, I think a wig helps a woman from feeling worse after the treatment and probably helps her morally in her recovery.
I agree with you Meg, I think some of them look ridiculous on men, but I saw a chap in the pub a few months ago and it opened my eyes, he had been to Germany on a work contract and while there got a smashing wig, very natural looking it was, a dark grey colour with a dash of light grey at the temples, not too much, just right, this man is in his early 50's. He didn't say how much it cost but he said it was very expensive, nice to know you can get the real thing if you can afford it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 07:32 PM

That's true Jem and they are expensive, but I think worth it .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 09:06 PM

I have a hairpiece of curls actually made from my own hair. If going somewhere special I pin my shoulder length hair up into a pleat then attach the curls with combs and/or clips. Being my own hair it matches perfectly and looks quite elegant. Was expensive to have it made - but with care it should last for years. Best of all - I don't have to ever sit around in a smelly hair salon - I just drop the piece in once or twice a year and collect it when it is done ! I loathe hairdresses.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 09:24 PM

I loathe hairdressers too so I take my scissors to my own hair every 6 weeks, doesn't look half bad either makes e wonder what I was paying for !
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 10:58 PM

I have never worn a wig or a hair piece but that's not to say I never will. I go to the hairdressers regularly and enjoy it very much. I like to keep my hair neat.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top