Join for free
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 07:36 PM

Ras Malai

For those who like Indian desserts, try this one. It is so simple it is untrue.

1 cup of milk powder (cream powder if you can find it)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 litre of milk
sugar to taste - I use about a cupful
a few cardamom pods, seeds removed and powdered
about a tablespoon of rose water

Mix milk powder, baking powder and egg into a very stiff batter. You may need a couple of splashes of water. It should be firm enough to roll into small balls, maybe an inch across.

Heat milk, sugar and cardamoms to boiling point.

Simmer the small balls in the milk for a few moments and they will swell up. Add the rose water. Cool and pop in the fridge till cold.

Serve them cold.

I added some double cream to the milk to make them richer and I believe you can buy cream powder to make them even richer still but I haven't been able to see any in the shops.

OR if you are dieting, use skimmed milk powder, skimmed milk and sweetner. They will taste just as nice.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 08:47 PM

Re: Ras Malai

I'm not allowed sugar, milk or milk powder so I'll have to give it a miss PPH
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 08:50 PM

It sounds lovely but I don't really 'do' puds - not cooked ones anyway. Raspeberries from the allotment is a different story. (Have you got yours in? They'll fruit next summer if you have; and rhubarb - that could be in as well)
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 10:02 PM

Now that does look good will give it a try...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 10:25 PM

That does sound tasty. I don'
t generally do desserts but will try that the next time I'm in an Indian restaurant.
PPHammer
Yorkshire, UK
PPHammer is male  PPHammer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
It sounds lovely but I don't really 'do' puds - not cooked ones anyway. Raspeberries from the allotment is a different story. (Have you got yours in? They'll fruit next summer if you have; and rhubarb - that could be in as well)

Yes I have my raspberries in including some golden varieties. I love raspberries but they are expensive to buy. Oh, and rhubarb is in - but then I do live in the rhubarb triangle
chinadoll
Wales
chinadoll is female  chinadoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2009, 10:59 PM

My hubby loves Ras Malai and I made him some ONCE! Nowadays we get it from the Indian shop,much easier PP)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top