Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Bet you didn't know this ...

Alfred Hitchcock (the greatest film maker) was born in the Eastend of London .. a few streets away from one of the UK's best photographers David Bailey.

They were born in Leytonstone, about 40 years apart. My best friend at school, had an aunty who lived a street away from them and could quite easily have known both.

Now wasn't that interesting?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Re: Bet you didn't know this ...

No - couldn't abide Hitchcock - gave me the creeps.
As a director - found him to be OTT and not as capable as the hype that surrounds him, never saw it meself ......
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 11:43 AM

I always like to hear interesting facts, its funny how we know of the works of people but don't really know where they were born or come from.

Thank you for that Janela
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 12:00 PM

Very interesting Janela
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 12:46 PM

Having been born and raised in Waltham Forest I knew this. There is still a pub near our hospital named after AH. Beckham used to work at our famous dog track, now undergoing demolition right this very minute for redevelopment (housing, no less!)

It was a sad time for staff and punters when the Chandler family decided they no longer wanted to run a greyhound stadium. I drive past it every time I visit my supermarkets. The iconic frontage is still standing but I wonder for how long? Looking tired and in need of painting and repair. i wonder if the developers intend to keep it? it used to be seen for miles when lit up.

The stands and terraces are coming down, right now.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 12:48 PM

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wa...KsT-H_Nc6SM%3A

Hope this link works
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

10-03-2014, 12:50 PM

http://www.thehitchcockhotel.com/

And the pub/hotel.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Alfred Hitchcock (the greatest film maker) was born in the Eastend of London .. a few streets away from one of the UK's best photographers David Bailey.

They were born in Leytonstone, about 40 years apart. My best friend at school, had an aunty who lived a street away from them and could quite easily have known both.

Now wasn't that interesting?
It's a small world!

I love Hitchcock films, the tense thrillers always gripped me...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Hitchcock was educated by the Jesuits I believe, some say thats a great education, but I wouldn't know. His wife was the driving force behind him, kept pushing him on for greater things.
Jazzi, The Hitchcock Hotel looks a bit like the Bates place to me, slice it down the middle, put it up on a hill and its a model for it, don't think I'd like to spend the night there.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2014, 01:27 PM

How about the fact that Errol Flynn was a little Aussie bleeder from Tasmania or that Merle Oberon claimed to be Tasmanian but wasn't even Australian?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top