Join for free
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2014, 09:34 AM

Controversial Forum?

I got in hot water with my post entitled 'Sexy Staffs', which isn't surprising really , but I must admit I was very confused as to where I should post about something so shocking.

There are many members on this forum that do not like to read anything 'unsettling', anything that disturbs them, and I can understand that, but nevertheless others like to be stimulated intellectually on anything and everything.

Would it not be a good idea to create a 'Controversial' forum in the 'Over 50s Chat' category so that members are forewarned that the content within such a forum is likely to ruffle their feathers?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2014, 11:50 PM

Re: Controversial Forum?

Hi Mark

I am moving this to the General Chat section to get everyone else's input..

What does everyone else think about such a section? The options are:

1) A normal section that everyone can see and post in.
2) A password protected section so only those who want to go into it, can
3) A section hidden from guests
4) Not having such a section here on Over 50s forum

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 12:07 AM

I think a password would be appropriate, then if folks get upset it's their own fault.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Hi Mark

I am moving this to the General Chat section to get everyone else's input..

What does everyone else think about such a section? The options are:

1) A normal section that everyone can see and post in.
2) A password protected section so only those who want to go into it, can
3) A section hidden from guests

4) Not having such a section here on Over 50s forum

If everyone enough members want a "Controversial" section, I guess answers 2 & 3 above might suffice.
Personally, I'm not quite sure what sort of things it could encourage though?
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 12:48 AM

I'd go with option 2 then folks can make their own mind up whether to read it or not.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 06:11 AM

Well if it happens then options 2 and 3 for me. Would it help ? ive seen quite ordinary subjects go quickly off topic and develop into controvesy, that is where moderation could help by locking topics or controlling posts if they deviate into spats.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 07:21 AM

I'm not sure why a password is needed. After all, we're all adults and if the area is labelled Controversial then we know what to expect. I'm all for it, I do get frustrated at all the "safe" and sometimes fluffy topics and the closing off of anything considered offensive or controversial. Go for it - but don't go over the top with a password - we can all read headings.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 08:29 AM

Cant believe what I'm reading here. There have been many 'controversial' subjects on the forum. The issue here was putting one in the 'Pets' section, with the thread title 'Sexy Staffs' which gave no clue to the content.
Easily rectified if the OP wanted to, but instead chooses this option.
I see it will make no difference, if thread titles are going to be misleading ....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 08:58 AM

Some subjects start quite normally and turn controversial (not sure that's really the right word though). I don't want this to be an attack on anyone so no names but when we have a self confessed member who is a WUM or troll it's possible to turn any thread on it's head as seems to happen.

We need good moderation, telling everyone off for speaking up when a troll causes a problem is encouraging that behaviour. Either we have proper moderation and mods do the telling off or we are allowed to stick up for each other and tell them off ourselves. I love many of the people on this forum and I am sure they would prefer less trolling and more proper discussing.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2014, 09:40 AM

Yeah ... 3 definitely and maybe 2 would be a good idea

Some people take delight in being offended, so it would be up to them to seek out their daily 'entertainment'

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top