Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 05:06 PM

Conning Tradesmen

We've been looking into getting a door canopy fitted over our disintegrating one or simply to replace it and I've spent quite some time looking it up and getting prices for them.

Today, after faffing about we found a reasonably-local supplier-installer so rather than my wife having to 'phone them we went over this morning.

The place looked run-down except from the outside but we went in and asked.

The man in charge was shifty - no other way to describe him - and he said he'd give us a rough price for the canopy.

My wife drew him to a display while I looked at his paperwork on his desk, pretending to look at exhibits on the wall.

One canopy we've already seen online and like we asked him about.

On his notes he had "Cost price = £350" and we've checked this out and got an email back saying cost to us plus delivery £495.

When he then gave my wife a "ball-park" figure he quoted £1100, just for the canopy and delivery, despite his notes saying how much it cost THEM!

The bloke said he had more paperwork and a list of "approved installers" so while he nipped out to get them my wife said she was positive that this bloke was the same one who was supposed to quote us for our replacement windows months ago but never rang back!

Just then the 'phone rang and he answered as a completely different company and said he'd ring them back.

That did it for me so I just told him to forget it and we walked out.

After my experience finding "iffy" tradesmen" still on various sites I no longer know what's best to do because now everywhere I turn I find con men!

Today a friend has given us two contacts which he knows are reputable so now we will probably check them out. stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 05:14 PM

Re: Conning Tradesmen

Oh dear kinda shakes your confidence, don't it? I dread having work done cos even on the council endorsed site things can go wrong.

Hope all goes ok for you, fingers crossed.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 05:16 PM

You did right - I'm the same with tradesmen, their reputation is so bad, its nerve racking trying to find a good 'un .....
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
We've been looking into getting a door canopy fitted over our disintegrating one or simply to replace it and I've spent quite some time looking it up and getting prices for them.

Today, after faffing about we found a reasonably-local supplier-installer so rather than my wife having to 'phone them we went over this morning.

The place looked run-down except from the outside but we went in and asked.

The man in charge was shifty - no other way to describe him - and he said he'd give us a rough price for the canopy.

My wife drew him to a display while I looked at his paperwork on his desk, pretending to look at exhibits on the wall.

One canopy we've already seen online and like we asked him about.

On his notes he had "Cost price = £350" and we've checked this out and got an email back saying cost to us plus delivery £495.

When he then gave my wife a "ball-park" figure he quoted £1100, just for the canopy and delivery, despite his notes saying how much it cost THEM!

The bloke said he had more paperwork and a list of "approved installers" so while he nipped out to get them my wife said she was positive that this bloke was the same one who was supposed to quote us for our replacement windows months ago but never rang back!

Just then the 'phone rang and he answered as a completely different company and said he'd ring them back.

That did it for me so I just told him to forget it and we walked out.

After my experience finding "iffy" tradesmen" still on various sites I no longer know what's best to do because now everywhere I turn I find con men!

Today a friend has given us two contacts which he knows are reputable so now we will probably check them out. stevmk2
Hi Steve, I think you'll find your local county council have a list of approved tradesmen online which will give you some element of security as tradesmen who aren't up to the mark get kicked off the list. I usually get 3 quotes when I need a tradesman in.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 07:09 PM

Hi Steve I belong to Which Local..
http://www.which.co.uk/about-which/w...l/which-local/
and find their recommended Tradesmen very good.

You could also contact your local Age Concern, my local branch provide a booklet of local Recommended Tradesmen free of charge.
Not all branches do this, here is yours..

http://www.aubdmiltonkeynes.co.uk/pa...Directory.html
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info Meg .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2014, 07:42 PM

Why not look around at houses locally & knock on the door of one with a newish canopy and ask then who fitted it & if they were any good.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
Why not look around at houses locally & knock on the door of one with a newish canopy and ask then who fitted it & if they were any good.
Going to do precisely that Twiz as next door-but-one had one fitted two years ago.

Her house is the exact match to ours.

She is a bit of a recluse though or just plain rude at times but I'll try! stevmk2
jennym
bracknell, United Kingdom
jennym is female  jennym has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2014, 06:19 PM

I always use checkertrade, have never yet had anyone come out to quote or do the job that haven't lived up to their reviews.
churrillman
United Kingdom
churrillman is male 

11-03-2014, 11:11 PM

I always ask friends relatives and neighbours if they can recommend anyone first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top