Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Winklepickers

Did any of the men out there wear winklepickers back in the sixties? I had three pairs back then and I remember when I had to visit the doctor with a badly cut leg, he took one look at the boots and said "I'd advise you not to wear pointed toes like that son, they will ruin your feet, that I can promise you" those were his exact words, that was over 50 years ago and my feet are perfect. I think thats a good example of the wrong 'Expert guessing' that went on then and still does today.

I still have a pair of them up in the attic somewhere.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 10:53 PM

Re: Winklepickers

I think your doctor was just jealous of your winklepickers, Jem
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 11:18 PM

You're right Mags he always was a bit of a creep, always wore a tweed jacket and cavalry twill trousers, and a 'Good sound shoe', and he only in his late twenties, a young man with an old mans head as me granny used to say. I wouldn't be surprised if he had bunions and ingrown toenails himself.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 11:25 PM

Perfect description Jem he couldn't very well wear winklepickers in his surgery could he
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Did any of the men out there wear winklepickers back in the sixties? I had three pairs back then and I remember when I had to visit the doctor with a badly cut leg, he took one look at the boots and said "I'd advise you not to wear pointed toes like that son, they will ruin your feet, that I can promise you" those were his exact words, that was over 50 years ago and my feet are perfect. I think thats a good example of the wrong 'Expert guessing' that went on then and still does today.
Not necessarily Jem......shoes do play a part in how our feet can be affected in later life, they increase the risks but not necessarily that they will.
You are one of the lucky ones.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2014, 11:37 PM

You're right Mags he always was a bit of a creep, always wore a tweed jacket and cavalry twill trousers, and a 'Good sound shoe', and he only in his late twenties, a young man with an old mans head as me granny used to say. I wouldn't be surprised if he had bunions and ingrown toenails himself.
Jem, I was a young man, with an old mans head, but I wore Denim and had a bad attitude.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2014, 12:34 AM

Nah im far too young to remember them,however baseball boots, and platform shoes, now your talking.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2014, 03:45 AM

I still have a pair of them up in the attic somewhere.
I wore them and the chisel toes that replaced them, They were pretty comfortable.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2014, 08:43 AM

Oh yes, I remember them Jem.
And chisel toes and platform shoes.
Chisel toes, are just winklepickers with six inches cut off
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2014, 09:36 AM

I wore Chisel toed shoes whilst on holiday in Wales - climbed the Eagle Tower in Caernavon Castle in them - very 'hairy' that was as the inside lane of the stairs were very narrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top