Join for free
Marki
East Midlands -UK
Marki is male  Marki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Butterflies- to early?

Northampton.

Snapped in the garden this morning sitting on a crocus.

Has anyone else spotted a butterfly this year?

EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Re: Butterflies- to early?

Me! Me! I did! In my garden yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't have my phone or camera with me and it was gone a few minutes later so I missed my chance. We are possibly a little milder down south and it was quite warm for the short time the sun had its hat on but it was a sure sign of things to come...hopefully!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2014, 06:55 PM

By eck Marki that's a beauty. Not here yet I'm afraid, but we have seen a few bumble bees....
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2014, 07:16 PM

Not yet a few species hibernate during winter, yours is a Small Tortoiseshell, but in March i usually expect to see Comma`s and the odd Red Admiral.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2014, 09:21 PM

Snap Marki!!! We saw one this morning, we have a lot of crocus flowering at the moment wonder if that's attracting them. Whatever it was it's a lovely sight!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2014, 10:27 PM

Good photo. Not seen one yet.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2014, 10:44 PM

I also saw a tortoiseshell butterfly in the garden today enjoying the sunshine
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Here is a butterfly that I saw in March last year...

Still had frosty nights...has to be very hardy in Michigan, be interesting if I see them that early this year after all the cold...expecting to be below zero tonight.. This one is on Alfalfa blooms...took me over 2 months to catch one sitting for me!

This one is in Florida and I have seen and taken photos of it in all 12 months of the year. The male has pink feelers...

The flower bud is wild Jasmine that is about the earliest wild flower there

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top