Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
sjbo659
Alaska
sjbo659 is male  sjbo659 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 02:37 AM

Dogs with hip or elbow problems

I know that vets can be really expensive but there are things you can do to help eliviate pain a dog is suffering from. This would apply mostly to large breed dogs that are prone to these type of problems. I have use this for years when I have had problems which everyone who breeds does sooner or later.

Main thing you need to do is keep your dogs weight under control as we all know. What I do is put ground bone meal 3 tps, Ester-C 1000, cod liver oil, cosequin 1 tps, comfrey 3tps, with a handful of frozen mix vegatibles and two cups of dry dog food. I do this twice a day when they are fed. This combo would be for a dog that is 75 to 95 lbs This could be adjusted for smaller dogs as well. I know it sounds like a lot of work but our dogs are really important to us and its not as hard once you get your system down.

I have had great results with dogs in the past with this formula especially dogs that had bad hips or were suffering from Arthritis in later years.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 02:58 AM

Re: Dogs with hip or elbow problems

All 3 of my boys are on cosequin, and have omega-3 herring oil every day.
Two are newfies, and so are over the 100lb mark. One of them has HD. Obviously I keep him on the light side, and he is doing real good. If (sigh, he will), when he gets worse, I plan on trying the adequan injections for him. I have heard a lot of good positive stories about it. He's only 3 now, and I plan on having a lot more years with him!
I have never heard of using ground bone meal, or comfrey. Can you tell me what the benefit of them is? I will do anything to make it easier for my boys, whether it effects them now or later.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 02:59 AM

I am a firm believer in diet and how it can effect health too

Cod liver and Flax seed oil is excellent for your joint - I take a spoonful twice a day. Vegetables and a natural diet are also important. Rocky (my dog) gets lots and isn't given any naughty 'treats' either... I try to use natural treats for him
sjbo659
Alaska
sjbo659 is male  sjbo659 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
Two are newfies, and so are over the 100lb mark. One of them has HD. Obviously I keep him on the light side, and he is doing real good. If (sigh, he will), when he gets worse, I plan on trying the adequan injections for him. I have heard a lot of good positive stories about it. He's only 3 now, and I plan on having a lot more years with him!
I have never heard of using ground bone meal, or comfrey. Can you tell me what the benefit of them is? I will do anything to make it easier for my boys, whether it effects them now or later.
HI Jax, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. First I would not do the adequan injections until its absolutely neccessary. You have to preload them for the first month then depending on the grade of the dysplasia you then have to continue them regularly. My guess is the vet would probably have you give them every three days for the first 8 to 10 shots then probably every other week. You also have to be really careful giving the shots to make sure you don't hit the nerve in the hind leg. Ground bone meal and the comfrey are both good to help with the cartledge that has most likely been damaged in the joint. A more natural remody verses the adequan. And make sure that you use the Cosequin powder. If its real bad then try the Glucosamine and Chondroitin. If your really set on the adequin you can get it in tablet form which is much easier. Rememeber that adequiain is basically a pain releaver and anti inflamatory medicine. You can buy the G&C at the large retailers or health stores. I know its expensive but before you begin shots I would really have the dogs hips X-Rayed to find out how bad they really are. I am a firm believer in natural remodies versus pharmacuticals when ever I can. I have had really good results with hips or elbows with the things I do. Main thing is once you begin them you have to remain consistant and it takes awhile for them to show the effects.
sjbo659
Alaska

12-12-2009, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I am a firm believer in diet and how it can effect health too

Cod liver and Flax seed oil is excellent for your joint - I take a spoonful twice a day. Vegetables and a natural diet are also important. Rocky (my dog) gets lots and isn't given any naughty 'treats' either... I try to use natural treats for him
I am glad that your giving your dogs fresh veggies. I am one of those that believes in natural diets as much as possible becuase they help in so many ways where commercial dogs foods lack.
sjbo659
Alaska

12-12-2009, 06:51 AM

Almost forgot Jax. The Ester C is a biggy too. Your dogs are a bit larger then mine and I have mine all on 2000 miligrams a day. I would be giving those Nuffies 2500 a day split between the morning and evening meals. I had a dog with problems and would limp all the time. After I added the Ester C within several week the limp went away even though the problem never did but the Ester C did the trick.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by sjbo659 ->
HI Jax, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can. First I would not do the adequan injections until its absolutely neccessary. You have to preload them for the first month then depending on the grade of the dysplasia you then have to continue them regularly. My guess is the vet would probably have you give them every three days for the first 8 to 10 shots then probably every other week. You also have to be really careful giving the shots to make sure you don't hit the nerve in the hind leg. Ground bone meal and the comfrey are both good to help with the cartledge that has most likely been damaged in the joint. A more natural remody verses the adequan. And make sure that you use the Cosequin powder. If its real bad then try the Glucosamine and Chondroitin. If your really set on the adequin you can get it in tablet form which is much easier. Rememeber that adequiain is basically a pain releaver and anti inflamatory medicine. You can buy the G&C at the large retailers or health stores. I know its expensive but before you begin shots I would really have the dogs hips X-Rayed to find out how bad they really are. I am a firm believer in natural remodies versus pharmacuticals when ever I can. I have had really good results with hips or elbows with the things I do. Main thing is once you begin them you have to remain consistant and it takes awhile for them to show the effects.
I won't be starting Dinty, my newf, on anything, other than the gluco/chond he is currently getting, unless necessary.
I would definitely rather go natural!
Right now, it is a wait and see, and he is doing good. I am trying to look ahead to when he will need something to help him. Because I know that day will come.
I will definitely be having his hips x-rayed again before putting him on anything permanent. And I am hoping that won't be for a while yet, but like I said, I am trying to figure out what will be best for him when needed!
I know swimming is real good exercise, but at this time of the year up north here, it ain't happening! Unless I win big money and we get an inside pool! I can dream!
Thank you for all your input! I really appreciate it! Anything else you can add will be appreciated too!!
sjbo659
Alaska

12-12-2009, 07:15 AM

I won't be starting Dinty, my newf, on anything, other than the gluco/chond he is currently getting, unless necessary.
I would definitely rather go natural!
Right now, it is a wait and see, and he is doing good. I am trying to look ahead to when he will need something to help him. Because I know that day will come.
I will definitely be having his hips x-rayed again before putting him on anything permanent. And I am hoping that won't be for a while yet, but like I said, I am trying to figure out what will be best for him when needed!
I know swimming is real good exercise, but at this time of the year up north here, it ain't happening! Unless I win big money and we get an inside pool! I can dream!
Thank you for all your input! I really appreciate it! Anything else you can add will be appreciated too!!
Jax, get them all on the frozen mix vegatables. Put a hand full in every meal and use ground bone meal. They are both cheap and they make a difference, especially in the early stages of dysplasia and they help those large dogs that are healthy. I use everything I listed in the orgional post on all my dogs every day. I have 7 dogs here now and it runs me with the dog food about 150.00 per month for everything. I figure thats worth it to ward off problems that might happen later. We have large dogs so we have to be more proactive to ensure they stay healthy. I had to learn the hard way when I first started and now I don't take chances. Your friend Steve
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada

12-12-2009, 07:26 AM

Maybe we should shop for our food in Alaska! The dog food alone costs us over $200 per month!
They already get fresh veggies every day - but probably not enough - will up that amount. And will get some bone meal tomorrow.
Thank you!
sjbo659
Alaska

12-12-2009, 07:34 AM

Maybe we should shop for our food in Alaska! The dog food alone costs us over $200 per month!
They already get fresh veggies every day - but probably not enough - will up that amount. And will get some bone meal tomorrow.
Thank you!

I shop at Costco's here and its a good deal compared to other places. I think I pay about 30.00 for a 50 lb bag of dog food. Frozen mixed veggies are about 4 dollars for a large bag. I go thru three of those a week. The rest of the stuff I buy in bulk so its cheaper that way. I also by the waste cuts from beef and lamb from our local butcher which is a big help too and the dogs love the treats in thier food. In the fall I buy salmon as well and freeze it for the winter months and add that to thier diet. Like I have said I have the most spoiled dogs around. lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top