Join for free
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2014, 06:47 PM

Poundland flotation

I've read that Poundland is going to be floated on the stockmarket. I wonder how much the shares will cost - 99p. perhaps
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2014, 06:50 PM

Re: Poundland flotation

'giggle' ...... at the most a pound ....
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2014, 07:57 PM

I watched the first episode of 'Pound Shop Wars'. The thing that struck me was the size of the warehouse of Poundland - it was COLOSSAL! One of the biggest warehouses I have seen.

Interesting and a bit sad really as the longest running pound store in the town where the docu was made was in no position to compete once the 2 big boys moved in (Poundland and Poundworld).

Pound Shop Wars - Series 1
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 09:30 AM

I was wondering too how much the shares would be. It will be strange if say they charged £5 each as it kind of takes away the point of being
99p or £1.
All I can say is I wont be buying any.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 12:20 PM

Am I the only one who goes into the pound shop and still asks how much some things are as cannot believe they are only a pound, my husband looks at me with despair.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 12:50 PM

Slightly changing the subject, I got excited when reading that Saga are considering a flotation and said it would give preference to their customers. I presumed this to mean free shares. Means otherwise! Got a letter this morning (my contents insurance is with them) asking my opinion and how much would I consider investing.

Hmmm...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
Am I the only one who goes into the pound shop and still asks how much some things are as cannot believe they are only a pound, my husband looks at me with despair.
'giggle' ..... I know that look - gotta keep them on their toes gal
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
The manager of one shop was laughing his head off at this very thing - the number of people who asked him the same thing .

Watched another episode of the 'Pound Shop Wars' and there must be a lot of money to be made. In town M&S had closed and Poundland took it over . I mean these shops are immense and stocked to the roof with £1 bargains.

The episode I watched was all about shop lifting. Apparently the stores were losing as much as their profit each year. Bit funny though to see the type of security guards they employed - big fat buggers; if anyone ran away from them they would have easily have got away .

Pound Shop Wars - The Battle Of The Bra
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 11:52 AM

I found the TV programmes fascinating - some of the best viewing for ages. Good luck to them all - it just goes to show how ripped off we are in the supermarkets, who of course are quickly jumping on the bandwagon. Didn't Woolworths start off like this - everything for sixpence or was it a penny in those far-off pre-inflation days? When they finally lost the plot of course, they went bust.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I've read that Poundland is going to be floated on the stockmarket. I wonder how much the shares will cost - 99p. perhaps
Wow! the floods were bad, no wonder Cameron was worried.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top