Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
sjbo659
Alaska
sjbo659 is male  sjbo659 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 10:43 PM

Cateracts in dogs

I have read several posts about eye problems with your dogs so thought I would pass on a little trick that I learned many years ago.
As most of you know dogs tend to lose their site in the later years and a lot of the breeds are prone to eye problems. I have had to deal with cateracts and its a real disappointment when you have a great dog that has them.
I have researched for years and finally found something that actually will help. If the cateract is caused by environmental conditions and not hereditary in nature this will in most cases tell you right away or within a short period of time.
What I do is use Dutch Gold Eucalyptus Honey in the eye. Just like you would eye drops twice a day for about two months. Do not delute the honey. If the ctaeract is environmental the cateract will deminish in size. Test's done have showed an improvement of up to 85%. If this is the case then you can be almost certain it was caused by environmental causes and is not hereditary. If on the other hand its hereditary then it still will help decrease the size but not to the same degree. I had one Bouvier that had a cateract in one eye. At young age she had eaten xmas tree lights and it had caused a large absese under her left eye. When she failed her cerf test I proceeded to give this a try and the next year she actually passed as the cateract had disappeared. Hope this little trick will be of interest to all.
Calismum
Scotland
Calismum is female  Calismum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Re: Cateracts in dogs

Interesting, would never have thought about that. My girl is 12 and so far, no sight probs. Will keep this in mind - just in case.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 11:02 PM

I have never had to deal with cataracts - touch wood!
I will definitely keep this in mind in case tho.
Is the Dutch Gold Eucalyptus Honey thickish, like an ointment?
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 11:05 PM

Interesting reading.......my girl's eyes are fine at the moment, but good to have info. relating to cataracts-thanks for post
sjbo659
Alaska
sjbo659 is male  sjbo659 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 11:08 PM

Yes, its thick just like honey you would buy for yourself. What I do is remove the cotton from a swab or even a large tooth pick with a flat end then dip the stick into the honey, apply it to the iside of the lower lid as close to the tear duct as I can. If you have a dog that wiggles a lot you may need your husbands help. lol But usually dogs will not be to concerned.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2009, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by sjbo659 ->
Yes, its thick just like honey you would buy for yourself. What I do is remove the cotton from a swab or even a large tooth pick with a flat end then dip the stick into the honey, apply it to the iside of the lower lid as close to the tear duct as I can. If you have a dog that wiggles a lot you may need your husbands help. lol But usually dogs will not be to concerned.
Ok, thanks! Was just wondering if it was ointmenty or more liquid-like!
BTW, I'm just south of the Alaskan panhandle - still a wee ways from you! But you do have a forum neighbour in the north!
sjbo659
Alaska

11-12-2009, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
Ok, thanks! Was just wondering if it was ointmenty or more liquid-like!
BTW, I'm just south of the Alaskan panhandle - still a wee ways from you! But you do have a forum neighbour in the north!
Thats great. I plan to show at the Whitehorse show this year. I will have both Sully and Cassie entered. Have not decided on Bud who is really lazy or Biz yet. Biz is really a nice dog but hes a bit small for the judges. Only 25 and 1/2 inches. Pretty hard to compete against Sully who is already at the top of the standard at 27 inches. But I will decide when the time comes.
BenjiesMum
New Member!
London UK
BenjiesMum is female 

12-12-2009, 01:49 PM

I have 2 Australian Terrier bitches - litter sisters and 14½ years old. Both have cataracts. I live in London UK and have never seen this Honey but would try it if I could buy it.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Thanks for the post Steve, our old Newfie has cataracts in both eyes, . . I'll definitely give this a go.
BenjiesMum
New Member!
London UK
BenjiesMum is female 

12-12-2009, 04:28 PM

Where can I buy this Honey in South London?
I've never seen it anywhere

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top