Join for free
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 08:06 PM

Mobility Scooters

Does anyone on here use a mobility scooter for walking their dog? My mobility is very bad now and can't walk our dog any more. My husband walks her in the afternoons and evenings and I have a very good naighbour who takes her out with her dog for an hours walk weekday mornings but her dog has just had a big op and so she is out of action. I don't want to keep relying on her so thought I would buy a mobility scooter to walk Asti my mini Schnauzer in the mornings when my naighbour cant take her out.

I need a heavy duty one that takes up to 27 stone. I can easily look them up on the internet but just wondered if anyone knew of any good make or knows someone who's got a good one that I could buy one the same.

Any advice or info on them greatly received. Thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2014, 08:16 PM

Re: Mobility Scooters

Hi Alison , I am sorry to learn your mobility is now so bad

I live near a common and see a number of people on a variety of little motorised vehicles taking their dogs out .
They seem a good idea to me and would get you out in the fresh air.

I know one of our members on Dogsey uses one , try posting a thread on there,she may respond .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Would you still be able to leave a scooter at shop entrances and walk around inside? If so and you think this will be the case for a few years yet, then a scooter is a good idea. If there would be difficulty in leaving the scooter long enough to shop on foot, then perhaps consider the fact that scooters (especially big scooters) can't get around inside shops too easily ..if at all in some cases.

A couple of other points to consider:

* Buses most likely won't be able to take scooters on-board.

* Scooters are difficult to transport in cars. Some can be taken apart in order to make the job more manageable, which is OK in the dry weather. However if it rains, both the person loading the scooter and the scooter itself can get very wet by the time the scooter is taken apart and stowed in the car. Using ramps and hoists still make the operation a quite long-winded affair.

---------

All in all, I'd say to look into getting a power chair when thinking about what might be best. Power chairs very often don't have a footprint any larger than a manual wheelchair, so they can be taken aboard buses (although you still might have to argue about that). They take up less space in the car. Ramps or a hoist would still have to be used (hoists are much quicker but more expensive) but getting a power chair on and off the car may not take so long once the best procedure is worked out.

Power chairs are more manoeuvrable inside shops, restaurants and cafes. It's often possible to sit at tables or at least nearer to them (carrying a lap tray is good).

My better half has been disabled for many years and has had a couple of scooters. For the reasons given above though, she has used a power chair for years instead and will not be going back to a scooter.

Stability was about the only aspect that was a concern for a while. A power chair doesn't give handlebars to hang onto ..or have such a long wheelbase. It is possible to get used to this though.

I know everyone is different as regards mobility requirements but I write this in case any of it might be useful. It took us time and lots of money to discover what is best. Perhaps there are some points that could apply to yourself that may not have been thought of.
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 04:27 PM

I tried several light cheaply built scooters to start with...found them to be not much help here in the country on gravel and grass. Bought a heavy one, a Rascal, 4 wheel and loved it! I could even drive down the garden between rows and weed or harvest...go up any hill. That company is out of business now...seat would swivel all the way around, had a basket on the pedistol in front that was the steering bars and another basket behind. Had 12 inch tires instead of the 6 or 8 the cheapies have.
Put a drive on platform on the car and it would lower to sit on the ground, drive the scooter on and raise the platform to the driving hieght and that automatically put lock clamps up to hold the scooter tight...a canvas cover came with it.
They are allowed anywhere, stores, resturants, rest rooms...although every large store has their own to use freely in the store with large shopping baskets on them.
I never tried tolead a dog as they can run freely here on the farm but I also led horses from it, cautiously trained them to accept it.
I no longer have my "Rascal", it wore out. Now I find it very hard to go anywhere with my walker...it is hard to get into the car and take out. I sure wish I had a scooter again!

Photo of my Hubby on my scooter
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Alison , I am sorry to learn your mobility is now so bad

I live near a common and see a number of people on a variety of little motorised vehicles taking their dogs out .
They seem a good idea to me and would get you out in the fresh air.

I know one of our members on Dogsey uses one , try posting a thread on there,she may respond .
Hello Meg Yes, I will post on Dogsey as well thanks. I only want it to walk the dog and that's all. I will go into some shops that sell them to try a few out. Thanks again.
Alicat
West Berkshire

09-01-2014, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Would you still be able to leave a scooter at shop entrances and walk around inside? If so and you think this will be the case for a few years yet, then a scooter is a good idea. If there would be difficulty in leaving the scooter long enough to shop on foot, then perhaps consider the fact that scooters (especially big scooters) can't get around inside shops too easily ..if at all in some cases.

A couple of other points to consider:

* Buses most likely won't be able to take scooters on-board.

* Scooters are difficult to transport in cars. Some can be taken apart in order to make the job more manageable, which is OK in the dry weather. However if it rains, both the person loading the scooter and the scooter itself can get very wet by the time the scooter is taken apart and stowed in the car. Using ramps and hoists still make the operation a quite long-winded affair.

---------

All in all, I'd say to look into getting a power chair when thinking about what might be best. Power chairs very often don't have a footprint any larger than a manual wheelchair, so they can be taken aboard buses (although you still might have to argue about that). They take up less space in the car. Ramps or a hoist would still have to be used (hoists are much quicker but more expensive) but getting a power chair on and off the car may not take so long once the best procedure is worked out.

Power chairs are more manoeuvrable inside shops, restaurants and cafes. It's often possible to sit at tables or at least nearer to them (carrying a lap tray is good).

My better half has been disabled for many years and has had a couple of scooters. For the reasons given above though, she has used a power chair for years instead and will not be going back to a scooter.

Stability was about the only aspect that was a concern for a while. A power chair doesn't give handlebars to hang onto ..or have such a long wheelbase. It is possible to get used to this though.

I know everyone is different as regards mobility requirements but I write this in case any of it might be useful. It took us time and lots of money to discover what is best. Perhaps there are some points that could apply to yourself that may not have been thought of.
Hello Mart, thank you for your reply and all the advice you have given, very kind of you although I only want one to walk the dog and that's all but worth knowing the points you've given as well. Thanks.
Alicat
West Berkshire

09-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by ShirleyMarie ->
I tried several light cheaply built scooters to start with...found them to be not much help here in the country on gravel and grass. Bought a heavy one, a Rascal, 4 wheel and loved it! I could even drive down the garden between rows and weed or harvest...go up any hill. That company is out of business now...seat would swivel all the way around, had a basket on the pedistol in front that was the steering bars and another basket behind. Had 12 inch tires instead of the 6 or 8 the cheapies have.
Put a drive on platform on the car and it would lower to sit on the ground, drive the scooter on and raise the platform to the driving hieght and that automatically put lock clamps up to hold the scooter tight...a canvas cover came with it.
They are allowed anywhere, stores, resturants, rest rooms...although every large store has their own to use freely in the store with large shopping baskets on them.
I never tried tolead a dog as they can run freely here on the farm but I also led horses from it, cautiously trained them to accept it.
I no longer have my "Rascal", it wore out. Now I find it very hard to go anywhere with my walker...it is hard to get into the car and take out. I sure wish I had a scooter again!

Photo of my Hubby on my scooter
Hello Shirley Marie, that scooter in the photo looks very interesting as I am after a heavy duty one, it's a shame they've stopped making them, still, I might be able to get a second hand one as long as you can still get the spare parts. Will look up that make. Thank you very much for replying and posting the photo.
Alicat
West Berkshire

14-01-2014, 06:04 PM

Just to say that I have ordered my mobility scooter, I've bought it Online as there are massive savings plus extras.

I have gone for a Kimco Maxi XLS, I hadn't tried it as there was nowhere local that stocked them for me to look at but I feel preety confident that this one will be okay. Here it is:

http://www.mobilityscootersplus.com/...y-scooter.html
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 12:30 AM

Alicat ... I hope you have many years of happy motoring - good luck
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2014, 09:40 AM

Very good looking machine hope you enjoy your walks with your dogs !

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top