Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Boiler problems

WE've had a rotten weekend, caused by the rain overflowing our guttering & running down the housewall & into the airvent/ flue of our boiler

THe water went through the boiler & onto the kitchen floor.

BritGas were called & they say all the circuit boards are wrecked & have to be replaced & promptly condemned the boiler, labelling it thus.
They wont come back until the guttering is fixed & we have no heating or hot water.
We had the guttering fixed today but as soon as it rained we had water down the wall again (rather less than before)

I'm a numpty when it comes to practical things, but one thing has come out of it & that's some real sympathy for the thousands of people who have had their homes flooded
recently.

No sign that we're out of the woods yet with our gutter/boiler.rain problems. It's all very depressing.

It's good to talk.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 10:34 PM

Re: Boiler problems

Sorry to hear about your troubles Robert
At least it isn't terribly cold just now. Hot water bottles and blankets are called for tell nurse Gillian.

I am dodging buckets of water too as the kitchen ceiling sprung a leak on new years day and it seemed like every roofer I called was on holiday until today.
Not a good start to the new year for either of us...

Keep smiling
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 11:03 PM

Had boiler trouble over christmas , thats sorted but two of the radiators are cold seems after several bleedings they may need a new thermostat.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2014, 11:36 PM

Sorry to hear you are in a bit of a mess RJ and Meg, I really do hope there will be a decent break in the weather until you can get sorted out, wish I could help.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 12:10 AM

You are having a stressful time Robert & Meg. I hope you get sorted and dried out a.s.a.p. Will the house insurance help you?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 10:18 AM

You have my sympathies both. I had a blown boiler on 23rd December a few years ago and know how cold it is when the only heat you have is a hot water bottle. We had to go out and buy some fan heaters which cost a fortune. I rang lots of people up and no one was interested and reminded
me constantly it was Christmas. Even British gas couldn't come until January 2nd so we had two weeks of it.
About your guttering. We had that problem at the front of our terraced house and the water was coming in through the walls. Luckily it wasn't near the boiler but it made the bedroom damp and smelly. You haven't mentioned what guttering you have. Is it plastic or metal? Did they replace the whole length of the pipe or just cleaned it out and put new screws in it? If they just put new screws in they may not have sealed it properly.
Hard to see why its still leaking without knowing what they put up for you.
Having had next doors leaking on my side and forcing me to put another down pipe on at my own cost to save my house, I feel like I am an expert on guttering.
Its a pity the gutter people didn't tell you what it was like up there. If you are connected onto someone elses guttering is it theirs that is not fixed properly and is it full of muck and needs cleaning. That would mean you are taking a lot of their water and that will cause it to overflow, especially in this heavy rain we are having. You might have to ask next door to sort theirs out as well.
Anyway, no good me surmising for you laugh, let us know if you can.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 10:52 AM

All my sympathy to you both, this weather is causing so many problems for many people.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 12:59 PM

Meg and Robert, I hope you both manage to get your boiler and leaking roof problems sorted out very soon.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Good wishes to you RJ - hope all is well - soon !
Good wishes to you too Meg ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2014, 05:01 PM

Thank you all ,
..Robert I hope you are faring better today

I rang 5 roofers to come out and give quotes and only one got back to me and he can't do the work for two weeks . I guess everyone is busy because of the storms.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top