Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Rupert Bear
New Member!
Chesterfield
Rupert Bear is male 

05-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Lycra clad cycling groups

I have just had a most harrowing experience on our local motorway, the road has cycle lanes and fenced off refuges which are cycle and pedestrian walkways.
A gang of lycra louts were using the road four abreast not just on one lane but were swinging in and out the other three lanes as well, that was bad enough ( and dangerous) but when they arrived at the next roundabout did they attempt to use the cycle lane, no chance! the weaved across three lanes of traffic.
As well as being absolutely stupid one of the cyclist dismounted and started in middle of the roundabout effing and blinding at about thirty to forty motorist that we should all have stopped and let them go.
Needless to say one or three car drivers by then had had enough of being held up for a considerable amount of time and let all the cyclist have both barrels.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 03:32 PM

Re: Lycra clad cycling groups

That's a little confusing because there are no cycle lanes neither are cyclists allowed on Motorways....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 03:48 PM

Probably a by-pass, I'd call that a motorway compared with our country roads! This is my pet peeve too! You turn a corner & there they are, won't let you pass, traffic builds up behind & drivers try to force you to overtake, even if they're not 3-4 abreast they're spaced so you can't overtake one at a time because you can't pull in between them or there's on- coming traffic! Grrrrrr!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 03:53 PM

I try not to let them annoy me and just mutter may their lycra shrivel in the wash and cut their assets off next time they go cycling
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 03:56 PM

We get a lot of cyclists thinking they own the road in The New Forest, they really pee me off.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I try not to let them annoy me and just mutter may their lycra shrivel in the wash and cut their assets off next time they go cycling
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 04:18 PM

I used to go to Mallorca in May until it became apparent that virtually the entire cycling world went there for training in May. The narrow but very twisty and scenic roads, especially in the mountainous northern area, were swamped with crowd after crowd of the lycra brigade. On those roads it is hard enough to overtake a single cyclist, let alone a whole group, and I often wondered how many get injured or killed as they swoop round a bend in the middle of the road.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 04:38 PM

I like that term - Lycra-Louts!

I'm lucky that I don't encounter too many cyclists on my work runs but I do see a few!

I see one character regularly on a bike though; obligatory dark clothing, no lights, hands in pockets so cycling 'freehand', (meaning No Control whatsoever in an emergency!) and he does this every-single-day!

When I was a kid we were told in no uncertain terms that we needed to be seen, needed lights in dark / gloomy conditions, we needed to be in FULL control all the time and we were to respect other Road Users.

Does that no longer apply to today's Cycling Nuts?!! stevmk2
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 04:53 PM

I can understand your frustration completely Rupert Bear - I despair of the lycra louts (I also love that term and shall use it from now on). They have no-one to blame but themselves for how they are viewed now (although I do feel sorry for the cyclists that understand we all share the road/pavement space as they get lumped in with the moronic ones).
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

05-01-2014, 07:03 PM

Forgot to say "Welcome" or rather "Welcome back" Rupert Bear!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top