Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 05:36 PM

Could modern life make people deaf?

A little while back I noticed an advert on TV where a fairly young-looking bloke states that hears were earphones or 'buds' all day long, which I thought was a very stupid thing to do because I'm deaf and I know the cause of my hearing loss is mainly due to loud noise.

My hearing loss is common; high frequency loss, which is the range we hear human speech.

It's also the range where we hear things like birdsong, computer-type beeps and tones, 'phone call ringers and of course, Music.

I also know that I now find it almost impossible to listen to music because my Hearing Aids are set-up to help me hear human speech rather than the more diverse ranges of music so I miss so much through either the shear volume of music or the high and low frequency alternations.

I've been looking around for some kind of help or guidance lately on Lip-Reading as I'm turning to that more and more as a natural shift as my hearing decreases but just now I found this: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25416853

so I thought perhaps some people on here might be interested.

I've often despaired at the volumes that music is often played at publicly; I've even experienced actual, physical pain from the shear volume emitted by some equipment by untrained (uncaring?) people with no real idea how to actually amplify music so that it can be heard clearly without the need for excessive volumes.

I was in a shop recently where they had the music so loud people were literally shouting at each other to be heard!

Have a look - it may surprise you. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Re: Could modern life make people deaf?

I agree - I feel for Hubs when we go to Matalan he hates the loud music, I do too, but at least I'm distracted !
We have complained and they turn it down, why do we have to keep doing that though .... Also it makes us just want to get out of there - why dont they 'get that' .......
Cars - the volume in them is crazy !!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 06:04 PM

I'm always telling mine if I can hear their music when they are using their MP3s then it's too loud. Sadly I know as soon as I am out of the way they crank it up again.

I have deafness in my right ear from industrial noise I don't know why people think music is any different to that it all makes you deaf eventually.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I agree - I feel for Hubs when we go to Matalan he hates the loud music, I do too, but at least I'm distracted !
We have complained and they turn it down, why do we have to keep doing that though .... Also it makes us just want to get out of there - why dont they 'get that' .......
Cars - the volume in them is crazy !!

Couldn't agree more Patsy. I detest loud music, but my ears are very good still. As Steve said, some noises hurt deep in my ears too, Mum's whistling hearing aid particularly bothers me.
As for shops, a few days ago when we were out, I was about to treat my son to a nice lunch for his birthday, but the music in the place he suggested was blaring out into the street outside. I said I didn't want to go in there as no way could I eat in peace with that row going on. He said it was only outside it was noisy, so we looked in, and he was right, inside was quite pleasant.
I must be getting old because when I asked him what was the point of music outside, he said it was to draw people in !!! I said, well it doesn't, as they almost lost 2 customers because of it, and I doubt I'm the only one that would have walked away either.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=Julie1962;398835]I'm always telling mine if I can hear their music when they are using their MP3s then it's too loud. Sadly I know as soon as I am out of the way they crank it up again.

I have deafness in my right ear from industrial noise I don't know why people think music is any different to that it all makes you deaf eventually.[/QUOTE]

Makes me think it must have been dreadful years ago, working in noisy factories. Don't suppose for a minute any ear protectors were issued then, perhaps because workers never sued employers for industrial injury once, or that health & safety checked anything.
Look at all the poor sods who are still suffering today from working unprotected with asbestos donkeys years ago.
We can control loudness of music at home thank goodness, but its other people's noise we shouldn't have to put up with.
Yes Pats, how those twerps can drive along shut in a car with such loud noises is beyond me. they will perhaps be regretting that one day.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 07:11 PM

I thought it was already proven that excessive noise damages hearing. So it follows on logically that "modern life" i.e. technology that amplifies everything probably is damaging.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 08:32 PM

One reason why I buy DVDs/CDs from Amazon is because shops like HMV etc., play music so loud it would make my ears bleed if I stayed there for more than 5 secs. Are shop managers too thick to realise that they are driving customers away ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

I've often despaired at the volumes that music is often played at publicly; I've even experienced actual, physical pain from the shear volume emitted by some equipment by untrained (uncaring?) people with no real idea how to actually amplify music so that it can be heard clearly without the need for excessive volumes.
I was visiting a friend in Ireland once and she asked if I'd go to a concert with her in Belfast to see Boyzone ( - I am seriously not a boyband fan) but I know she adored them so I agreed to go (paid for my own ticket at the O2 I think it was) and as soon as they started, I felt like my ears were going to bleed it was that loud. Then, as you have said, it becomes painful on the ears and in the end, I had to tell her I couldn't stay in there (she was not pleased) and that I'd wait for her in the foyer. Once outside, I noticed my hearing felt dimmed but it did return. Every single person coming out of that auditorium was shouting and she continued to shout for a good couple of hours - she thought she was talking normally!

I've heard this is a common problem in Ibiza where the music is played so loudly, people have known to suffer hearing loss for up to three days.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 11:26 PM

Fortunately, I've never worked in a loud environment.
But I do have hearing loss. It was first noticed by my son, years ago, when a tyre on my car was going down (hissing) and I couldn't hear it!
We both learned sign before our grandson got his hearing aids (very useful in the garden) but we find we naturally lip read .. especially the tv. Some voices and accents can be difficult and background noises and music too loud.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2014, 12:49 AM

Well i worked in construction and noise levels were never addressed until the late ninety's and yes my hearing is compromised now. Mind you standing in front of the speaker cabinets at a concert by the Nice, back in 1969 did not help. I often use headphones to listen to music, and i think its a trend i should have sparred wide of. I have Tinnitus, and do struggle to hear some sounds, birds in particular.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top