Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 01:28 AM

Posimistic

That is a word used by a young man on a reality tv show I've been watching for the past 12 weeks - a combination of positive and optimistic.

This lad never saw the down side of anything, saw only good in people and interpreted everything, however nastily said, as a good thing.

So why did he irriate the life out of me?

Can people be too optimistic and positive? Is it normal to view the world in that way? Or does it leave you open to being manipulated by less scrupulous people?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 01:32 AM

Re: Posimistic

Partly of it would no doubt depend on your own mood at the time of being with this optimistic lad. If you felt cheerful and optimistic yourself at that moment, it would be nice to be around someone the same.
However, if you had serious doubts about a situation or disliked it intensely, an born optimist might well be very irritating.
Even if it did leave him wide open to being manipulated, he would perhaps even view that optimistically!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Even if it did leave him wide open to being manipulated, he would perhaps even view that optimistically!
Sadly, that's what happened and it really upset him when others had to really hammer it home that his good nature was being abused.

When he just kept coming up with positives no matter what, I just kept thinking 'are you really that dense' - it was like watching a toddler in a young adult's body; for some reason, it just felt wrong.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 08:21 AM

When I worked in IT I often used to work late so got to know the cleaners.
One evening a cleaner told me she was glad I was there because the 'nutter'(her words) was working late.
The 'nutter' was a guy who always had a smile on his face, was always friendly but was very religous. He would work humming hymns
The constand smile frightened her!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 09:06 AM

I think making any judgements about a persons persona via the medium of a "Reality" T.V show is a bit of a nonsense.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 09:32 AM

Anyone thats 'over the top' is irritating ....
I'm not optimistic - I'm not negative either - a lot of people protect themselves by being a certain way.
He chooses to be overly enthusiastic and if people around him dont feel that way, its annoying.
Its all part of life and you get on with it as best you can .... Its like he's saying 'nothing can touch me - I wont let it'
Munchkin
Scotland
Munchkin is male  Munchkin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 11:42 AM

Like the person that continues to bleat that the world is against him,how if anything is going to go wrong it will go wrong with him, All the time just looking for the sympathy vote off others.

Now that is the type that really ****** me off, we all know them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2014, 11:45 AM

We do Taff - 'over the top' again and bloomin irritating .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-01-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I think making any judgements about a persons persona via the medium of a "Reality" T.V show is a bit of a nonsense.
Did I make a judgement on his persona as such? I was asking a question about people like that in general - not him personally. You may never have met anyone like that but I have and I'm sure others have too, I doubt he's a one-off.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

04-01-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Munchkin ->
Like the person that continues to bleat that the world is against him,how if anything is going to go wrong it will go wrong with him, All the time just looking for the sympathy vote off others.

Now that is the type that really ****** me off, we all know them.
Yes, that's the other side of the same coin isn't it - equally irritating. I once had a friend like that (about 30 years ago) with a constant 'why me' question; finally, my mum snapped and said 'why not you, what makes you so special that life's hardships shouldn't touch you' - I thought that would do it but then percentages were brought into it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top