Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 04:19 PM

Pantomimes.

Anyone been recently ? last one i went to was in the late 70`s.

Boy was it long , did have the Lovely Kathy Secker as Principle Boy, had no offspring just went with the wife, also went to see the Jungle Book film only 2 adults in a sea of rugrats.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Re: Pantomimes.

Yes two weeks ago I went to see Snow White at the theatre with the three little ones (twins age 3 and Hannah 2 ). They were so good and really enjoyed in even though it was 2 hours long in total.

I never liked pantomimes as a child and I don't like them any more now .
What really spoil it for me was the fumes from the indoor fireworks and dry ice/fake mist made it difficult for me to breathe and also made me wheezy .

The prince looked quite old and rather unsuited to the part..
I hadn't heard of any of the cast.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 04:48 PM

Never been to one but with a 2year old grandson, maybe next year. I so hope not!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Never been to one but with a 2year old grandson, maybe next year. I so hope not!
My 2 year old insisted on sitting on my knee the whole time which was rather nice really because I could whisper to her about what was happening which helped to keep her quiet
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 05:13 PM

You were very brave there, Meg I honestly don't think the lo would sit still that long. Think he'd rather be in it!! I would love him to sit on my knee but he doesn't do it for long
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Never been to one - imagine its noisy, as Saturday morning pictures used to be !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 08:19 PM

I've never been to a real one either, I love going to the theatre and have seen some great performances over the years.
They used to have some amateur shows on in the local hall after Christmas back in the 50's and 60's, and they did their best I know but still very amateur, well what do you expect for a tanner in, Laurence Olivier?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 09:17 PM

Regulars on here will be familiar with the passing of my party piece, that of a pantomime horse, sadly due to an absence of anyone wiling to take the back half of the costume.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 10:08 PM

And what a sad loss that party piece is RJ.
The scarcity of rear end horse costume fillers has reached crisis point, or so the stage manager of the Abbey Theatre informed me over a pint recently. Advertisements in the national and local press received no replies, even though a fully paid three weeks training period and lavender scented masks were offered, he even went as far as saying job seekers should be forced to take the work or have their dole cut, I do not go along with that, bad enough being out of work without them trying to make an ass of yeh altogether.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2014, 12:16 PM

At last JEM, someone who understands the enormity of the situation we face with horses asses of the pantomime variety. I had to give up my pantomime horse apprenticeship after starting at the bottom, literally. The problem was that not enough pairs. Every one wanted to be at the front. My vertigo didnt help & the crouched position had the unfortunate effect of giving me the trots.

I had considered being a cow, but I felt that it wasnt artistically suited to my temperament, anyway I think cows are silly, Oh Nay & nay again. The stable door is firmly shut on that..
But Hay, I can can accept being put out to pasture. I've milked my last encore. What goes past your eyes is a relic of the glory days of theatre. A mere chewing of the cud.

Moooooooooo.

Happy new year, I am optimistic for 2014.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top