Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Rene61
Alabama, USA
Rene61 is female  Rene61 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 02:03 PM

Fixing my car

During the holidays someone bashed one of the taillights on my car. From the angle of the scratches on the body it looks like someone tapped it backing out from across the parking aisle. Instead of paying $100 for the part and $200 for labor, I watched a video of a mechanic replacing one and decided to do it myself. It isn't hard, really... like changing a part on a computer. What was funny was the reaction I got from the auto parts store. I had to order the part and the men in there acted like I was trespassing on sacred man ground.
I fixed the car yesterday, but the video failed to mention a step--how to dismantle the wiring from the old fixture to attach it to the new. It wasn't hard to figure out, just frustrating that the video failed to go over that part.
I'm curious now as to how many things I could do myself on my car instead of paying loads of money for someone else to do for me.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Re: Fixing my car

....Love that - well done !
Maybe you will have a go at some other stuff now !
Your right about the garages - no place for a woman !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Good for you Rene

I have always had to 'watch the pennies' as they say so whenever possible have done things myself like decorating , a bit of plumbing and once fitted a whole kitchen including making my own pine worksurfaces and tiling the walls and floor.
Years later I had a new kitchen fitted and the 'professionals' who fitted it didn't do a very good job at all.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 02:25 PM

How very dare you, you will be after a vote next.

Please observe this sacred video.

Im off to me shed to sulk.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
How very dare you, you will be after a vote next.

Please observe this sacred video.

Im off to me shed to sulk.
Look out for 'Jem' !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

31-12-2013, 02:29 PM

Thats because you take more care Meg
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 03:03 PM

I love that sketch! I'm a self sufficient female too, cept not with the car. It's all computerised now. I often watch Harry Enfield and wonder how his character would cope with me!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Some of these new cars are not meant to be touched by anyone other than skilled technicians it seems to me. My bother-in-law has a Citroen something or other and whilst it has been ultra reliable (thankfully) I don't think even the simplest of jobs can be done by him; even something like messing with bulbs and so on can cause problems apparently if you don't know what you are doing.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

31-12-2013, 03:04 PM

Good point Mark - far trickier to fix these days .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2013, 04:30 PM

Now, if you could just explain to me where the anti-freeze & oil go ...........

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top