Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Room-sized Dehumidifiers

Has anyone any idea of how much a room-sized Dehumidifier costs to run?

I've seen one today for £35, (Mini-Dehumidifier for 10M-square room) and I've been thinking of one in our spare room, which seems to get all the damp air in the house but I can't find any info detailing the wattage to give me any idea of costs running the thing!

I have found it's a Peltier type so no compressor involved and it requires a minimum temperature of 15 degrees C to operate so theoretically it shouldn't cost much to run as that room is never below that temperature.

My reason for asking is that we tried the Calcium Chloride passive ones and they work, then found we couldn't get the refill packs! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Re: Room-sized Dehumidifiers

I managed to find out the consumption on an item a month ago, cant remember the site now, took some finding.
If you know the make, maybe you could look up that company, then the product on the site, they may have the information - or have an Email section for questions .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2013, 04:30 PM

You may want to check that's big enough Steve, we have a mini (inherited a couple of years ago) it doesn't cope with our living room, still have wet windows in the morning.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
You may want to check that's big enough Steve, we have a mini (inherited a couple of years ago) it doesn't cope with our living room, still have wet windows in the morning.
It says it's suitable for 10 square meters Julie and that small room is about that size.

Condensation's a bit of a problem in our old house and that one room seems to attract it all! stevmk2
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 09:38 AM

Hi Steve,
Found this on the net about the same question your have given

If you are from the UK:

I just read a website that claims it will run for a couple of pence an hour. But bear in mind you would have to keep it running for 24 hours per day for the first two or three days.

I have two dehumidifiers in the house. I don't run them often, just when there is condensation in winter time, so I haven't noticed any real change in the electricity bill. But if you need to run them for a long time every day, you probably would notice.

It dries out my problem well, but it all depends on what kind of damp problem you have. If it is caused by condensation, yes, the dehumidifier will bring down the amount of moisture in the air and reduce that for you.

Hope it helps
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 10:01 AM

You have to be careful though - wouldn't leave one on 24 hours at all.
Cracks will appear - dont want to dry out yer home to much.
I would put on low setting throughout the night.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

28-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.

I've just had another look on the internet and found out that this model is actually 12V operation so power consumption is going to be no more than our Christmas Tree's using at the moment - minimal.

This explains the relatively low take-up rate but you really don't want to overdo it with these things!

When we tried the passive, un-powered system that worked well but it's finding the refill packs of calcium chloride that's the problem.

I might go ahead with buying one as the room that I intend using it in seems to be a condensation 'magnet' so it'll help.
Thanks again. stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top