Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2013, 08:06 PM

Is this a safe in the wall?

I took layers of old wall paper down in the basement and found it - Any idea what it might be? Perhaps its housing some pipes or something
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2013, 08:08 PM

Re: Is this a safe in the wall?

Oooo - I wonder whats inside ......
Have you tried the 'open - close' .......
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2013, 08:09 PM

How big is it Azz? I hope you won't discover a hidden body in there!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2013, 08:10 PM

Looks like an old access plate to a flue or similar for cleaning and maintenance...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Looks like an old access plate to a flue or similar for cleaning and maintenance...
I think you might be right - it is near the old gas boiler.

Mags - It's about 15 inches square.

Patsy - I tried but it seems stuck
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2013, 08:40 PM

Not full of dosh, then.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Plantman has got it right, I'm almost certain that when you open it you'll find a chimney AKA 'flue' which extends up to the roof.

In CZ our house had such a chimney and our central heating boiler vented into it, there are two such doors, one at the bottom and one right at the top.

So, when you get round to redecorating the top room you might find another one.

Oh by the way, be careful when you open it, and don't do it in your best dinner jacket, there maybe a lot of soot piled up behind

Do you know when your house was built

ETA:-
If there was a gas boiler then not much soot will there, ours is coal fired and the chimney has to be cleaned at least once a year.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2013, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->

I took layers of old wall paper down in the basement and found it - Any idea what it might be? Perhaps its housing some pipes or something
Depending on when it was built and what it is for be careful of that (thin) surround it might contain asbestos. if you do manage to open it (WD40?) keep the surround wet unless you are sure it is safe.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2013, 10:56 PM

Azz, just pretending, but what happens if there was heaps of gold or jewels in there, or old coins? Are you allowed to keep them or do they belong to "the State"?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

26-12-2013, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Not full of dosh, then.
Will let you know if it is.

Or maybe I won't

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Plantman has got it right, I'm almost certain that when you open it you'll find a chimney AKA 'flue' which extends up to the roof.

In CZ our house had such a chimney and our central heating boiler vented into it, there are two such doors, one at the bottom and one right at the top.

So, when you get round to redecorating the top room you might find another one.

Oh by the way, be careful when you open it, and don't do it in your best dinner jacket, there maybe a lot of soot piled up behind

Do you know when your house was built

ETA:-
If there was a gas boiler then not much soot will there, ours is coal fired and the chimney has to be cleaned at least once a year.
Yeah, it's right next to the 'flue' coming out of the old boiler, so pretty sure it's that now. Not had a chance to go back to open it tho. Would be nice if they stashed their jewels in there lol

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Depending on when it was built and what it is for be careful of that (thin) surround it might contain asbestos. if you do manage to open it (WD40?) keep the surround wet unless you are sure it is safe.
There was a wierd coating on the front, but I just assumed it was old plaster - smelt awful! Hope it isn't asbestos! I'd guess it is fairly new tho - as it's a gas boiler - so hopefully no asbestos there.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Azz, just pretending, but what happens if there was heaps of gold or jewels in there, or old coins? Are you allowed to keep them or do they belong to "the State"?
I think usually it belongs to the state, but as we bought the house I assume it means everything included

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top