Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 07:09 PM

Weather Accidents

Heard of trees blown onto railway lines, blown onto a motorway too causing accidents. Surely, these trees should have been removed years ago - do they not realise the danger that a falling tree can cause and 'sense' would say - remove it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Re: Weather Accidents

Patsy darlin' - trees and shrubs were used to absorb some of the noise made by traffic on the roads and trains - hence a lots of trees that were originally shrubs that have now grown into 20 - 30ft monsters, which is why they are now crashing down and causing havoc on roads and railways alike. Some Councils also place preservation orders on all trees within their council boundary, so despite the fact they pose a threat, nothing can be done as they are 'protected'.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 07:26 PM

Well I love trees - but, why so near to these areas. I guess the trees were there first of course - but sense should prevail ......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 07:29 PM

We had one go down today Patsy.

No indications before that it was going to do that but all the rain must have loosened the soil enough to make it unstable in strong wind.

At home a few year ago a neighbour, three doors down, had a 40 foot conifer come down and the top of it smashed my fence to bits but my immediate neighbour had the bulk of it in HIS garden.

Again there was no sign of it being unstable but it had rained heavily two days before the wind came up.

In the neighbours garden all the roots came out - everything, and it took tree surgeons 12 hours to chop it all up so I hate to think what the cost was!

One of my brothers in law is tree surgeon and he says you just can't tell but heavy rain then strong winds usually result in downed trees. stevmk2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 07:36 PM

I think this a ridiculous notion. Trees that are obviously dangerous and reported as such are surely dealt with, particularly by official bodies, but in the main who is to say which mature tree will fall and which will stand in extreme conditions? In our local forest the wind will fell a sixty foot conifer in the middle of acres of sixty foot conifers. Who could predict it would be that one to fall?

The world would indeed be a sad and ugly place without the grace and magnificence of mature trees, just for the sake of "just in case".
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-12-2013, 07:37 PM

I agree, but when so near to railway lines I have a different view.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I agree, but when so near to railway lines I have a different view.
So are you saying we should fell all trees within touching distance of road and rail? A gargantuan task indeed....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-12-2013, 07:43 PM

OK point taken - the train I saw today, must have 'just' managed to break in time, looked like an inch from the tree .... But life is all about taking risks ........
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 10:21 PM

We aren't that far from the tracks here, trains thunder past on the way to London, sadly if they take the trees away we would be able to hear them even more than we can now and sometimes it's like thunder going past. The trees also keep the area around the tracks a bit drier, without them drinking the water the tracks would be under water. So trains stopped regularly due to water on the tracks or very occasional danger of a tree going down ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2013, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Patsy darlin' - trees and shrubs were used to absorb some of the noise made by traffic on the roads and trains - hence a lots of trees that were originally shrubs that have now grown into 20 - 30ft monsters, which is why they are now crashing down and causing havoc on roads and railways alike. Some Councils also place preservation orders on all trees within their council boundary, so despite the fact they pose a threat, nothing can be done as they are 'protected'.

Not entirely true I'm afraid UJ. As I posted some time ago, there are some beautiful mature trees round the corner from me and they had P.O's on them, but what happens? A builder comes along with big ideas and probably an equally big wallet, next thing we know 8 of these lovely trees are to be destroyed. I phoned the council about it and asked what was the point of a P.O if it just be overturned when they felt like it. They're reply was that they love trees too, but these 8 were going to be "in the way" of "improvements".

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top