Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2013, 09:13 PM

Multifuel stoves advice

I'm thinking about putting a multifuel stove in my fireplace, having had one in the past in Yorkshire. I think it would pay for itself in fuel savings fairly quickly.
There is such a huge choice, and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for good ones. I need to be able to burn just about anything in it, preferably including coal and peat briquettes as well as wood. I prefer simple lines rather than anything fancy or decorative, and I need to be able to access the chimney for cleaning through it. Probably don't need more than 5kw output, though would be tempted to have a bit more if I don't have to put in an airbrick. It would be nice to have a flat top on which I could put a kettle.
Some seem to have two air vents - not sure if this is really any advantage?
Any advice greatly appreciated!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Re: Multifuel stoves advice

Peat briquettes... now there's a blast from the past. I haven't seen tham since my days in N.I. in the 60's.

I've got a 'Neria' and that would seem to suit your needs. I'd recommend a 'Bohemia 40 or 50" depending on the heat output. They've got quite modern, clean lines that would suit most decors - and a flat top for your kettle! (the flue can be back or top)

You'll find that multi fuel stoves have two air vents. Coal generally wants a bottom draught while wood wants a top draught.

Not cheap at around £600 + probably a new 6" double walled flue liner + cowl. Also check on building regs re. hearth size etc..

I think they're fantastic - great heat output and very little little ash.
You'll need the chimney swept once a year, but little maintenance otherwise. Don't listen to those who complain anout mess, inconvenience etc.. A few minutes a day to empty the ash pan and clean the glass isn't a hardship.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2013, 12:39 PM

Re: Multifuel stoves advice

Just bumping this up in case anyone else has any advice...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top