Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 11:40 AM

Income for All

At last some common sense and forward thinking. Well not really as this proposal was something that was considered in the 1600s with the thought of Utopia.

Originally Posted by Thomas More
A universal basic income sounds very radical, but it is not a new idea - Thomas More proposed it in his work Utopia in the 16th Century.
Swiss to vote on incomes for all - working or not

Lets face it there will come a time when there will never be enough jobs. Robots etc will be able to supply us with all we need, or at least a lot of it, effectively putting people out of work (or people will be resigned to repetitive brain numbing work just to earn a buck). We will need a change in our outlook for sure.

Originally Posted by Mr Schmidt
Mr Schmidt denies this, saying the proposed amount for Switzerland, 2,500 Swiss francs ($2,800; £1,750) a month is scarcely enough to survive on, and that anyway a society in which people work only because they have to have money is "no better than slavery".
What made it easy to put forward - greedy bankers ...

The anger among many Swiss voters at the news that some of their biggest banks, such as UBS, had continued paying top executives huge bonuses while also reporting huge losses, has led to a heated debate about salaries, and more widely, about fairness.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 11:46 AM

Re: Income for All

It does make you think doesn't it. As more and more machines replace people, the work simply won't be there and compared to robots, people just can't compete any more given the way technology has advanced.

I've always been a huge admirer of the Swiss mentality to life (and wish I'd been born there as well as the rotters won't let you buy a house if you are not Swiss) but where will all the money come from to pay everyone if hardly anyone is working?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
It does make you think doesn't it. As more and more machines replace people, the work simply won't be there and compared to robots, people just can't compete any more given the way technology has advanced.

I've always been a huge admirer of the Swiss mentality to life (and wish I'd been born there as well as the rotters won't let you buy a house if you are not Swiss) but where will all the money come from to pay everyone if hardly anyone is working?
Well this idea has many similarities to how communism should have worked, in that people will still want to work regardless of being paid x amount or not. Lets face it we are very creative, requiring stimulation at all times in one form or another and some jobs supply such in abundance. There will still be very highly paid, sort after jobs and no-doubt very productive jobs which can provide the money to fund it all.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Anything that ends the system of haves and have-nots I'm all for it. At the rate that jobs are disappearing, the 'great and the good' are going to have come up with something. I can see us going back to the barter system! Then again, that might be fairer.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:06 PM

It's an interesting concept but I am unsure how it could work surely people will want to do the good jobs but will anyone be volunteering to clean loos or butcher pigs etc ?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

18-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Anything that ends the system of haves and have-nots I'm all for it. At the rate that jobs are disappearing, the 'great and the good' are going to have come up with something. I can see us going back to the barter system! Then again, that might be fairer.
I think the writing is on the wall. The threads you have started lately are shots across the bows if you ask me, as robots are improving and evolving at an accelerated rate. 50 years from now what could a robot be capable of? Uncomplaining robotic machines already more or less run the car industry and lots of heavy industry too. Just a matter of time when other employers realise they don't have to employ someone and slap in a robot. With the costs dropping on these robots all the time it will filter down to all sorts of manufacturing eventually. Other than that the only jobs available for the masses will be more or less like suffering a living death of mindless boredom, which is as things are now in some factories.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-12-2013, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I think the writing is on the wall. The threads you have started lately are shots across the bows if you ask me, as robots are improving and evolving at an accelerated rate. 50 years from now what could a robot be capable of? Uncomplaining robotic machines already more or less run the car industry and lots of heavy industry too. Just a matter of time when other employers realise they don't have to employ someone and slap in a robot. With the costs dropping on these robots all the time it will filter down to all sorts of manufacturing eventually. Other than that the only jobs available for the masses will be more or less like suffering a living death of mindless boredom, which is as things are now in some factories.
After discussing my recent threads with Lauren (eldest granddaughter) last night, she asked if it would make much of a difference to have robotic nurses, we came to the conclusion that, for patients, it would be better as robots would pay no heed to the hierarchical structure and if a robot thought that a doctor was not doing something in a patients best interest, the robot would intervene - the doctor/surgeon trying to pull rank would find it fell on deaf ears

Did you ever watch a film called Logan's Run? Maybe a future like that one is in store
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 01:00 PM

Horrible feeling it will be more like the hunger games
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Well in Logan's Run, they bump you off on your 30th birthday!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

18-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Hunger games it can be any time after 16 !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top